Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Currently I have have:
Intel pentium g4400 processor
H110 - s2 gigabyte motherboard
2x4 gb 2666mhz g skill ripjaws 5
Corsair vs450 psu
Zotac gtx 950

I was looking to upgrade my cpu as the dual core restricts in most games and lags in many games..... I was wondering which cpu will be ideal for gaming? i3 6100 or i5 6500! Want to play most of the modern titles and upcoming titles.

I mean if I will be better off with the i3 6100..... It's cheap... But the extra two physical cores of the i5 6500 will affect the performance?

P.S- Only for gaming!

Solution
I'm not sure if it's the same with bf1, games like skyrim and fallout were capped at 60fps to coincide with game time (day/night). Issues didn't crop up in every circumstance but there were some issues here and there unlocking the framerate in games designed that way.

In some games the 4 actual cores of an i5 will have a benefit, especially with min fps (resulting in less fps drops). In other games it won't be as noticeable. I'd go for the i5 personally although clock speed also matters in some games like bf1. Being 4c/4t is just one aspect, a low end i5 doesn't always perform like a higher end i5 with higher clock speeds. That's part of the reason the i3 6100 performs as well as it does despite being a dual core cpu, it benefits from...

AkaSh SAncheti

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Bro so i5 6500 would be good for atleast 2-3 years? Want to play all the modern titles... Can compromise on the quality as I have the gtx 950... But the processor will be able to run every game right.... Because it is a quad core cpu!!!

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Battlefield 1 runs easily @ 60 fps without any signficant drops at max settings if you have a relatively new Intel i5 processor. The problems starts if you play it on a 144Hz monitor. It will drop often from 100-120 to 60 ranges, which is very noticably and where most complaints come from.

Yeah get the i5-6500. Could do with a GPU upgrade aswell though.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
CPU_FuryX.png

Battlefield has no problems running on an i5. Or a modern i3, really.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
There are clear misconceptions from both perspectives. I own the game and read about the complaints. Yes, Battlefield 1 utilises an i7, or any CPU with 8 cores/threads better than just a quad core i5 processor. However, for GamerBoy and DSzymborski, at 60 fps, this isn't a problem, most complaints originate from users playing at super-higher framerates, above 60, 100+. CPU spikes on an Intel i5 cause loads of FPS drops down to 60-70 ranges, which is very noticable on these monitors.

However, at 60 fps, these CPU spikes aren't noticable. I tested the game in the heaviest multiplayer sections with locked 60 fps and unlocked fps. Unlocked FPS is a disaster at times, but 60 fps is usually perfect. It dropped to ~55 a few times in an entire match. That's nothing.

However for DSzymborski, especially in multiplayer at 144Hz monitor gameplay with unlocked FPS, you will notice the Intel i5 going into trouble. Framerates aren't consistent enough.

The guy in that other thread seems to be suffering from more personal issues I think.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Think Skyrim was hard-locked to 60 for those reasons, personally haven't tried to unlock it but It's a very CPU-bound game. I wouldn't be suprised if it got inconsistent at higher framerates. Fallout 4 is much bigger ''disaster'' at 50+ framerates.

I'm not sure if it's the same with bf1, games like skyrim and fallout were capped at 60fps to coincide with game time (day/night). Issues didn't crop up in every circumstance but there were some issues here and there unlocking the framerate in games designed that way.

In some games the 4 actual cores of an i5 will have a benefit, especially with min fps (resulting in less fps drops). In other games it won't be as noticeable. I'd go for the i5 personally although clock speed also matters in some games like bf1. Being 4c/4t is just one aspect, a low end i5 doesn't always perform like a higher end i5 with higher clock speeds. That's part of the reason the i3 6100 performs as well as it does despite being a dual core cpu, it benefits from relatively high clock speeds compared to say an i5 6400 which runs around 500-600mhz slower under full load. If considering an i5 that will perform better than an i3 6100 it would be worth considering one like the 6500 or 6600 where the clock speeds are comparable in addition to having 2 extra cores. Otherwise a fast hyper threaded i3 vs a slower i5 may be more of a wash.

Solution