Optiplex 780 SFF Upgrade. GT 710 vs HD 5670 vs GT 740 vs GTX 750ti

yoyrohaila

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
I want to turn a small form factor into a gaming built
My specs are..
Dell Optiplex 780 SFF with
intel core 2 duo e7500 2.93 ghz clocked at 3.66 ghz (BSEL MOD)
2 gb ram
intel q43/q45 graphics
Most importantly A 235 watts PSU

Low on budget and need upgrade CPU/GPU/ RAM
Althrough I could have a gtx 750ti till mid of 2017
And Uptill
I want something which can play games not the very latest titles but games like AC4 GTA 5 Crysis 3 BF4
at least 720p @30fps low-medium settings and lighter ones like CSGO AC3 GTA 4 BF3 FC3 Crysis 2 at higher settings

GT 710 is Dx 12, consumes 19 watts supports PhysX , is better optimized & overclocker and $10 lower price
HD 5670 is Dx 11 , consumes 64 watts , not sure about optimization but have gddr5 memory and benchmarks scores better.

Is there a very big difference b/w those two cards when it comes to FPS..?
will HD 5670 run fine on a 235 watts psu.. ?
I think it will be fine as far it runs with 65 watt processor but when it comes to upgrade like 95 watt core 2 quad will it still be fine? (Small form factor supports upto core 2 quad Q9650)
Is there a need of PSU upgrade what psu will fit in my SFF?

Solution
For all the games you listed you will need at a minimum 4gb system ram(8gb for games like GTA V) and 2gb DDR5 vram on a videocard with a 128 bit memory bus(not 64bit). The less demanding games will probably do alright with 2gb system ram. You have a low power PSU so the videocard will have to be low power. Your CPU will also limit performance in more demanding games.

This all adds up to a 750ti 2gb card being the best you could do. Faster cards would be a waste of money but slower cards would also be a waste of money. I don't recommend a 740 or 250.

You shouldn't 'upgrade' your CPU because anything you can buy for that motherboard will still be slow in newer games. If you buy a new motherboard, and a new CPU, more ram AND a videocard...

yoyrohaila

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

Well for now i could just afford upto gt 740 or r7 250 ( i can save more )
I was planning to upgrade both cpu & gpu at a limited budget
Do you suggest me a single gpu upgrade with current cpu?

For all the games you listed you will need at a minimum 4gb system ram(8gb for games like GTA V) and 2gb DDR5 vram on a videocard with a 128 bit memory bus(not 64bit). The less demanding games will probably do alright with 2gb system ram. You have a low power PSU so the videocard will have to be low power. Your CPU will also limit performance in more demanding games.

This all adds up to a 750ti 2gb card being the best you could do. Faster cards would be a waste of money but slower cards would also be a waste of money. I don't recommend a 740 or 250.

You shouldn't 'upgrade' your CPU because anything you can buy for that motherboard will still be slow in newer games. If you buy a new motherboard, and a new CPU, more ram AND a videocard you've essentially built a new computer. If you are on a tight budget all you can do is find the least expensive 750ti and try to find the settings and resolution that give you the best experience in your games.

Solution

yoyrohaila

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

Sure I shouldn't waste my money on any of these low cards when after all I need 750ti

And 750ti is not a waste I can put it in any of my future build to get max out of it.

I should be thinking of future and future demanding applications too.

Thank you.