$600-700 (USD) Micro-ATX Gaming Build

Tidestar

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
Hey guys, I've been looking into building a new micro-atx gaming rig. I was thinking I would use Newegg, like I did the last 2 times I built my gaming rigs. It has been a while, however, so would anyone mind looking it over for improvements / adjustments / anything? Preferably, I'd like to make the build even cheaper if possible, I really don't wanna spend a ton.

The rig simply has to be good enough to run League of Legends, max settings, with other programs such as skype on, and not stutter or anything. (That's why I'm switching out from my gaming laptop that I'm currently using). My ambition is to be a pro player, I play 6-8 hours+ a day, more on weekends, so it's very important to me that it won't overheat / stutter / etc etc.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=31133866

I've never used AMD before, so it would be really helpful if someone looked my list over for any compatibility issues or whatnot. I shouldn't need to buy a full price windows 10, as I should be able to get a hold of one at a discount, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks everyone.

Solution
This is WAY better. I kept the same case since I figured you liked it. It's an ok case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card ($204.98 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC Cuboid-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+...

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I'm going to be honest with you. That build is terrible. The cpu is a terrible option. The motherboard is a terrible choice for the cpu. The psu is terrible. The video card is way overpriced.

You could do so much better. Give me a minute and I'll show you.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
This is WAY better. I kept the same case since I figured you liked it. It's an ok case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card ($204.98 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC Cuboid-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $653.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-31 23:00 EDT-0400

Solution

Tidestar

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
Thanks, that would make a lot more sense with what I'm going for. I've always been an Intel guy anyway, i was hoping to save money with AMD but that's even better. (I don't think I need any fancy cpu for league). And the GPU looks a lot nicer.

I tried applying some of your build to something else I was considering, a mini ITX case (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zZqzZ8). What do you think? I really think that case is awesome, but at the same time I'm worried about it overheating potentially.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The i3 6100 is actually better than the FX8350 in gaming.

I love mini builds. That case would work, but you would need the sata adapter that partpicker says. It's a good bit more expensive for sure. I say keep looking at cases just in case you find one you like better.

Tidestar

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

I ended up deciding on the mini build in that case; I had a few questions for you if you don't mind, though. Do you think temps will be a problem? I'm OK with them being higher, which is to be expected, but I don't have experience with this sort of build to know if they will go into dangerous areas?

Also, is it worth getting a fan such as this to help with GPU temps? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119065&cm_re=EVERCOOL_SB-F1-_-35-119-065-_-Product) I'm assuming the fans on the GPU you suggested are intake fans, so I would need an exhaust fan, if I even want one.

Tidestar

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

Well you were certainly correct about the temps, I am extremely impressed how well this case does with so few fans. In fact, the temps are so good I managed to get a pretty substantial overclock on this GPU. **2050mhz on core and 4104mhz on mem, for anyone curious, probably could push it harder but i value stability moreso

I ran Furmark AND prime95 all night and I got a max 71c on the GPU and a max of 87 on the CPU. (Probably more of a 65c and 80c average respectively).

Again, thanks for all the help and steering me toward this card / model, never thought I'd be able to overclock the graphics card on a small rig like this; it really all came together.