Suggestions on a CPU cooler

TalonLock

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
Hi guys I need a suggestion on a CPU cooler for my rig. Currently running an i7-4790 core on just the stock cooler that was included. It has to fit my Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 case, with 2 fans mounted on the top as intakes already. So no dice on the Hyper 212, not enough clearance room.
Not really willing to go for water cooling cause of cost and the fact that I have 6 fans installed in my case already (the 2 fans that came with the case and 4 Corsair SP120 Red LED). Budget around 100-160 MYR so around 25-40 USD. Prefer if it stays within my colour, red. But mainly looking for one that can actually fit and cool my CPU.

tldr;
Need CPU cooler
Case:Corsair Carbide Spec-02
Budget:25-40$
Condition:Clearance for my case and 2 attached fans on the top.
Bonus points:Red LED cooler

(PS, I know the Hyper 212 fits in my type of case with all the videos showing it, but with my 2 attached fans it doesn't)

Is your current CPU cooler not functioning well? What kind of temps are you looking at under load, and what is your ambient temp? When was the last time you cleaned the cooler?

By the way, you should probably set your top fans as exhaust, not intake.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

What sites are available to order from in your country?

Here is the M9i which is on par with the CM212 cooling but a bit smaller. This is from Australian which 160 MYR is about $50 AUD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $35.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 02:21 AEDT+1100

relative_perf.gif

TalonLock

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

It's getting a tad bit hot for my comfort. It's going at 70C or higher on load based on CAM and sits at 44C on idle which is 9% load. And my GPU is not even reaching 70C when I'm gaming cause of the fans. Ambient temp here is around 27-33C, I live in Malaysia, humid and hot so go figure. Cleaned it about a month back. Just the CPU is going high temps. Got the tops as intakes cause the guy that installed it said it was for positive pressure? So yeah.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Posted to above near your price point ^

TalonLock

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

Nope they are the 120mm fans, SP120s. Yours can fit as you mounted it that way, I cant cause I have the ram slots very close by and cant orient it that way.

Yeah, pretty warm ambient temps so that's going to hurt performance a little. 70c isn't terrible for the 4790 though under max load. The Cryorig coolers recommended will give you some improvement over the stock cooler you are using, and be a little quieter/nicer looking overall for a good price.

However I would still flip the top fans to exhaust. Positive pressure can be nice to reduce dust a little, but it isn't a big deal. I'd rather have the benefit of a smoother airflow through the case. I'd venture to guess you'll see a couple degrees c improvement just from the top fans being flipped.