i5 4590 vs 6400 with stock coolers for lot of rendering and gaming?

Oct 31, 2016
So I made two different builds with only like 7usd difference in price and I'm trying to decide which one to finally buy. One has the i5-4590 the other the i5-6400 for CPU, same gpu (1060 3gb), but both are mini-ITX with only 2 case coolers on and stock CPU coolers. Now that's the first problem, the second is that I would use these for 3D rendering and sometimes gaming(only 1080p). 3D rendering certainly means 100% load on CPU for hours without a pause.

I am 99% sure I won't buy a stock cooler, as I want best price/performance and we have terrible prices here.

So which one should I go with? Will the stock cooler and the tiny space affect the 4590's longevity? Does the 6400 make up for these problems with it's much lower TDP?

I'd much rather go with the 4590 because it has much better performance in benchmarks (right?) but I'm afraid because of these problems...

Solution
Yes the 4590 is faster and yes the stock cooler should keep temps in check provided that you have moderately adequate airflow in your case. It will probably be a little on the loud side though. You could always add an after market cooler at a later time if you want it to be quieter.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Yes the 4590 is faster and yes the stock cooler should keep temps in check provided that you have moderately adequate airflow in your case. It will probably be a little on the loud side though. You could always add an after market cooler at a later time if you want it to be quieter.

Solution

DDR4 and M2 Could provide better performance no? I mean Encoding and decoding video My Sata 3 SSD is fully saturated.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Yes a little, but I don't think it would make up the ~15% difference in cpu power. If the OP could pay a little more for the i5 6500 it would be a different story. DDR4 does not provide a noticeable increase in performance until you get well over 3000mhz mainly do to the highly increased CAS

I would rather have 2133mhz CAS 9 DDR3 than 2133mhz CAS 15 DDR4

Oct 31, 2016

Well, I can't really afford high speed SSDs atm, and I have an entry-level one anyway that will hopefully be enough (always have a few old HDDs lying around for extra long-term storage). So M.2 isn't that important for me.
As for DDR4, I don't think it makes that big of a difference. At least in this benchmark video the difference in CPU performance matters more than the difference between DDR3/DDR4, for both 2D and 3D rendering.

Oct 31, 2016

Well I guess maybe I should... are you thinking of an i5-6500? I wouldn't go much further than that but that would be a .5ghz increase.

EDIT Oops, didn't read your other answer xd. Yes I think I'll go with the 6500.

Oct 31, 2016

Sorry if this is a bit late, but what do you think about a B150M Pro 4 by AsRock for a 6500/6600? Is it an okay board for that and a 1060?