fx-4300 vs ... on 760GMA-P34

Akumida

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
I have a 2013 Fx-4300 with a GTX950, 4Gb 1333, and it's not as fast as I'd like...

I want to get it to 8Gb, and I was thinking "what if I got a Fx-8370E processor?" Is this the 'best' for the MoBo? I don't know much at all about AMD's processors, I try to compare them to my i5-2500, and cpu-world, for example seems to always list my i5 computer as better than any Fx processor (only thing I can understand due to the relative power).

The computer is for my special needs son, who LOVES playing POE (Path of Exile). With 4gb ram as it currently has now, he can't Youtube his weird al songs while POE'g sometimes, as he gets frustrated. So would the better processor help (given I will have the 8gb ram)?

What is the best processor for that 760GMA-P34 that won't bottleneck, if it does at all?

Solution
Your MSI board supports the FX-8370 which is the fastest for your motherboard. Your motherboard doesn't support the 9000 series only the 95 and 125W CPU's. I suggest getting an FX-8300 and over clock upto 4Ghz for a much lower price. With the Cryorig H7 it will be much cooler and quiter at 4Ghz.
https://us.msi.com/file/test_report/TR19_2887.pdf

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor ($113.36 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $148.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 11:44 EDT-0400
Your MSI board supports the FX-8370 which is the fastest for your motherboard. Your motherboard doesn't support the 9000 series only the 95 and 125W CPU's. I suggest getting an FX-8300 and over clock upto 4Ghz for a much lower price. With the Cryorig H7 it will be much cooler and quiter at 4Ghz.
https://us.msi.com/file/test_report/TR19_2887.pdf

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor ($113.36 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $148.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 11:44 EDT-0400

Solution

neblogai

Distinguished
POE does not need powerful PC at all. Upgrading the RAM to 8GB should enable the PC to run games much better with youtube.
As for the CPU- I'd rather just overclock FX4300, or FX6300, to maximize single core performance without straining motherboard too much.

Akumida

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
For POE, I initially had a GT730 card, which played it pretty well, I thought. He would have behaviors when it lagged, so the GTX950 fixed that!

Never fails, the more I seem to learn about computers, the more the next obstacle has nothing to do with what I have learned :/

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Anything but the 9000 series looks like it will fit.

Not really any possibility of a bottleneck between a CPU and motherboard.

An i5-2500 is a little better than a stock 8000 series chip. All about the performance provided per core for gaming, vs a large amount of cores for more generalized tasks.

So really the FX4300 is roughly as fast as FX6300 or FX-8300/FX-8320. However, newer games are taking advantage of more cores. They aren't terribly expensive.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
That is a 760 based board so your VRM is pretty weak and is known to explode with even moderate overclocking. Because of this no FX-6XXX or FX-8XXX will be much of a upgrade as you will be adding more cores only and the performance gain without overclocking is next to nothing.

FX 8350 $125 4ghz (4.2ghz) Is the max I would consider
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-FX-8350-Black-Edition-4GHz-Eight-Core-FD8350FRHKBOX-Processor-/282241380519?hash=item41b6e5b0a7:g:RS0AAOSwXeJYGRq5

FPS gain when comparing 3.8ghz(4ghz) to 4ghz (4.2ghz) is next to nothing and in my opinion a waste of money. I would suggest upgrading your RAM and adding a SSD over upgrading the CPU on this motherboard, POE does disk cache quite often and is not all that demanding.

I recently upgraded my sons PC and it was a A8 7600, 8GB 1866mhz Ram without a GPU.. POE and Youtube open was playable without youtube stopping. I would also suggest not using IE or Firefox for youtube as they tend to have issues.

Akumida

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Cool, thanks for all the info! I have never done any overclocking or know how to do it either.

It is harder for me to find out about AMD's processors rather than Intel's. Last I looked, AMD was going to come out with some big one, but that was what I read last year, and it still hasn't happened that I know of :( I'll definitely tell my little guy to use Chrome now since what you said on IE/FF. I didn't know about that, but I do see FF using a ton on task manager sometimes

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
So
4GB of Ram
25% used by Normal use and AV
=
3GB

Browser streaming YouTube with another blank Tab.. Average 500MB With Firefox.. 350mb with Edge and Chrome.
=
2.5GB

POE Use.. 1.3GB to 2.7 GB Some heavy maps use even more that 3GB when your in Multiplayer.
Defiantly a issue here that can cause YouTube to stop working.

My 11 year old son and I play POE together across multiple systems. I still build a sell PC's as a side hobby so we are always changing setups. Intel CPU's are defiantly better at most games over the current AMD CPU's. I5's have been a sweet spot for gaming for a few years and I don't see that changing to much unless AMD's Zen holds up to the Hype. Zen is suppose to release in January so at least that isn't to much time to wait for Benchmarks

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-8-core-summit-ridge-launching-january/

Akumida

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
I can't wait for new AMD processors. I can easily see the difference on the Intel processors, but when it comes to AMD, it isn't so straight forward. Having my i5 was a huge improvement over the i3 3220. Both are faster than the FX 4300, though