Solved

First PC build help Suggestions on a case please !!?

Hello All,

I'm brand new to this site as well as PC building. Ill start with the disclaimer that i am not a PC gamer so while I'm sure that certain things in my parts list could be better I'm not overclocking or even playing any game online its solely for home use as well as my full time online schooling. Anyway i do believe i have a pretty nice rig part wise but the case seems to be the biggest challenge. I'm sure ill sound ignorant but I'm not sure what to even look for or if the power supply I'm planning on using can fit in every case or if the CD/DVD drive will etc. I'm not worried about cooling, unless you guys think i need it, but to me i don't believe i do since i wont be gaming. And the quieter the tower the better doesn't need to be flashy at all. Any suggestions 75 bucks or less would be appreciated! Thanks !

CPU: Intel i3-6100
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Micro ATX desktop motherboard
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 3.5 7200rpm
Graphics: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDRP LP Card
Memory: Kingston HyperXFURY 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz 1.2V
DVD: Asus DRW-24B1ST internal DVD-RW Drive
Power: EVGA 500W
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build suggestions case
  1. first of all, your PSU is no good.
    see if you can pick up a Corsair CXM450(not the CXM430/500) or a XFX Core / Pro 450 (basically anything but the XT450 or TS430)

    as for a case, depends on your location. Usually a Corsair 200r would be in that range and would be a quality case. sometimes
    The Fractal Design R4 is sometimes available at this price which is a superb case, as is the Thermaltake F31 Suppressor.
    Furthermore NZXT S340.
    also to be taken into consideration are the Phanteks P400 & Fractal Design Define S -- but they come without a CD/DVD drive support, so if you plan on using one, these aren't options for you

    looking for a case you'd want
    case size: mid/midi-case/tower or even mini
    PSU size: ATX (standard in these cases. some mini cases don't support ATX-PSUs but generally all do)
    Mainboardsize: µATX and above (ATX/E-ATX). Stay clear of cases that only support ITX
    you'd want a case that's made from a solid material. the less plastic the better basically.

    generally good brands are usually Fractal Design, Phanteks, NZXT, Corsair
  2. Isokolon said:
    first of all, your PSU is no good.
    see if you can pick up a Corsair CXM450(not the CXM430/500) or a XFX Core / Pro 450 (basically anything but the XT450 or TS430)

    as for a case, depends on your location. Usually a Corsair 200r would be in that range and would be a quality case. sometimes
    The Fractal Design R4 is sometimes available at this price which is a superb case, as is the Thermaltake F31 Suppressor.
    Furthermore NZXT S340.
    also to be taken into consideration are the Phanteks P400 & Fractal Design Define S -- but they come without a CD/DVD drive support, so if you plan on using one, these aren't options for you

    looking for a case you'd want
    case size: mid/midi-case/tower or even mini
    PSU size: ATX (standard in these cases. some mini cases don't support ATX-PSUs but generally all do)
    Mainboardsize: µATX and above (ATX/E-ATX). Stay clear of cases that only support ITX
    you'd want a case that's made from a solid material. the less plastic the better basically.

    generally good brands are usually Fractal Design, Phanteks, NZXT, Corsair
  3. Hey thanks for the response the cases I will definitely look into them I was looking at a corsair that I liked a lot just was unsure I find it would work with my setup as for the CPU I'm not using it for gaming and I know the debate between intel and amd forever rages on but I need an intel 3,5, or 7 as system requirements for my school which is why I chose that one I was under the impression that the fury x ram makes that processor run pretty well. Otherwis
  4. I said nothing about CPU, Board and RAM?
    just your PSU is low quality
  5. Isokolon said:
    I said nothing about CPU, Board and RAM?
    just your PSU is low quality
  6. Lol wow sorry I read that to quick my mistake! Can I ask why the psu isn't great is it the brand or do you think not enoug wattage or both
  7. dconklin15 said:
    Lol wow sorry I read that to quick my mistake! Can I ask why the psu isn't great is it the brand or do you think not enoug wattage or both


    neither of those things. it's just a cheap units. quality has it's price when it comes to PSUs.
    the easiest comparison is the following: an iPhone costs 700$. you can get a phone with the same specs and design in China for 150$. thing is, withing 6 months your China iPhone will be dead in the water.
    it's the same with PSUs. the unit you picked can deliver 500W. at 25°C in a lab. the reason it's only 30-40$ is because they use a simplistic internal design, use cheaper, less resilient & durable parts and work not as precise as they do with quality units. if you take a look at EVGA's 550W SuperNOVA G2, it's probably double in price -- because it's an excellent unit.
    so the problem with your PSU is neither the brand nor the wattage, it's just the quality of this specific series.
    I advice to get one of these (ranked from cheapest to most expensive).:

    Corsair CXM450 / CXM550 -- avoid 430/500/600
    XFX Pro / Core / TS 450W -- avoid TS430 & XT series
    Seasonic S12II-520 / M12II-520
    Seasonic 550W (this can be various units)
    Antec HCG 550W
    Super Flower Golden Green Hx / Golden King 550/500W (not sure if it's 500 or 550, both would be plenty)
    EVGA SuperNOVA B2 -- avoid B1/BQ series
    EVGA SuperNOVA G2 / GS 550W -- avoid GQ/G1 series
    Corsair RMx / RMi / Hx 550W-- avoid RM series
  8. Isokolon said:
    dconklin15 said:
    Lol wow sorry I read that to quick my mistake! Can I ask why the psu isn't great is it the brand or do you think not enoug wattage or both


    neither of those things. it's just a cheap units. quality has it's price when it comes to PSUs.
    the easiest comparison is the following: an iPhone costs 700$. you can get a phone with the same specs and design in China for 150$. thing is, withing 6 months your China iPhone will be dead in the water.
    it's the same with PSUs. the unit you picked can deliver 500W. at 25°C in a lab. the reason it's only 30-40$ is because they use a simplistic internal design, use cheaper, less resilient & durable parts and work not as precise as they do with quality units. if you take a look at EVGA's 550W SuperNOVA G2, it's probably double in price -- because it's an excellent unit.
    so the problem with your PSU is neither the brand nor the wattage, it's just the quality of this specific series.
    I advice to get one of these (ranked from cheapest to most expensive).:

    Corsair CXM450 / CXM550 -- avoid 430/500/600
    XFX Pro / Core / TS 450W -- avoid TS430 & XT series
    Seasonic S12II-520 / M12II-520
    Seasonic 550W (this can be various units)
    Antec HCG 550W
    Super Flower Golden Green Hx / Golden King 550/500W (not sure if it's 500 or 550, both would be plenty)
    EVGA SuperNOVA B2 -- avoid B1/BQ series
    EVGA SuperNOVA G2 / GS 550W -- avoid GQ/G1 series
    Corsair RMx / RMi / Hx 550W-- avoid RM series
  9. Good stuff I read somewhere that these were decent units budget of course but decent I didn't realize they were the ego metro's of the psu world. Thanks for the information rather spend a few more bucks and not have to worry about it, as far as the case is concerned do all cases fit all psu or is there specific sizing I need to be aware of
  10. Best answer
    any midi or full tower will support this. it's (µ)ATX standard.
    unless you go for an ITX case, any case will support it.
    however some larger units might interefere in length with the drive cage, but this shouldn't really be an issue for any quality case and for the units listed (well maybe for the Hx, that's a bit longer)
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Build