Nearly 100 Degrees Celsius Temperatures After Upgrading Computer

Bastillux

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Today I upgraded my pc's CPU and GPU, and also bought a liquid cooler.

I upgraded my:
CPU from the Intel i5 4590 to the Intel i7 4790k.
GPU from the R9 380 to the GTX 1080.

I double checked to make sure I had plugged in everything in the right places, and I applied thermal paste. The thing is, before I start playing CPU intensive games, my CPU temperatures are well below 75 degrees celsius. Not too long into the game, I check HWMonitor to peek at my stats and see that it jumps to around 100 degrees celsius, making my games nearly unplayable giving me a very small amount of frames per second.

Now, when I applied the thermal paste, there was still residue from my old CPU stock fan. Was I wrong to apply new thermal paste to older thermal paste (same brand?) Is that why my temperatures are through the roof?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello.

The issue is likely to be your old uncleaned thermal paste. If the old paste is solid, then you will not be able to make a uniform contact between the CPU and heatsink. I suggest trying to clean completely your heatsink and cpu, then re-applying new thermal paste.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

The issue is likely to be your old uncleaned thermal paste. If the old paste is solid, then you will not be able to make a uniform contact between the CPU and heatsink. I suggest trying to clean completely your heatsink and cpu, then re-applying new thermal paste.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS