Will my FX 6300 bottleneck a 1060?

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Hullo,

I recently want to buy a GTX 1060 because of the price and all. I currently have a FX 6300 not overclocked (overclock isn't a possibility either) anyways i want to know if it will bottleneck it?

I want to play games like:
Skyrim Special Edition (ultra setting 1080p)
Battlefield 1 (ultra settings 1080p)
Fallout 4 (ultra settings 1080p)
GTA V (ultra settings 1080p)

I am looking to run each game at a avg of 58 fps. I can't play games with low fps because it gives me a huge headaches and makes me vomit. Anyways, thanks!

Solution
I had my FX 6100 overclocked to 4.4GHz before I gave it the boot. In most of GTAV, I was hitting around 45-50 FPS on high with my 370 bottlenecking it. If I went into the middle of the city, I would hit 30FPS with my CPU bottlenecking it. In FO4, I was hitting around 50-60FPS on high in the majority of it, but when I went into the Greater Boston Area, I would drop down to... I think the lowest I saw was 20. Average around 30-35 though.

It would be a major help if you could overclock it.

It's good to have a CPU that doesn't bottleneck, but if the GPU is that terrible lab partner that makes you do all the work, that can be a problem too. Personally, I would probably go for the 1060, wait for Kaby Lake, wait for Zen, as I believe they...

genthug

Honorable
BF1, FO4, GTAV, and likely Skyrim will all be bottlenecked by your current CPU. They are all very CPU intensive. There are points where you will be getting 60FPS out of them, but you will not get a steady 60 out of your current CPU on those games.

In general, you'd see minimal bottlenecking with the combination, but if the game is CPU heavy, you'll likely see a heavy hit to performance with your current non-overclocked CPU.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
You're at a massive disadvantage (35% give or take) because you cannot overclock. You will most definitely be bottlenecked.

However, like genthug said, it's subjective, and depends on the game how bad the bottleneck will be.

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Hi,

This is very disappointing to hear actually. Would this be a HUGE bottleneck? Like for example loosing 15 fps just because of the CPU? The thing is, right now i have a r9 380 2gb and im getting 50 fps on the games at high. I want to know if the upgrade to this new gpu will be a lot or i should focus on getting a new CPU (and fucking motherboard ahh) instead of a gpu? I will eventually upgrade both obviously, but which one should i upgrade first?

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Hello,

If i understand what this means is that i should upgrade the gpu first and consider upgrading the cpu secondly?
thx

genthug

Honorable
I had my FX 6100 overclocked to 4.4GHz before I gave it the boot. In most of GTAV, I was hitting around 45-50 FPS on high with my 370 bottlenecking it. If I went into the middle of the city, I would hit 30FPS with my CPU bottlenecking it. In FO4, I was hitting around 50-60FPS on high in the majority of it, but when I went into the Greater Boston Area, I would drop down to... I think the lowest I saw was 20. Average around 30-35 though.

It would be a major help if you could overclock it.

It's good to have a CPU that doesn't bottleneck, but if the GPU is that terrible lab partner that makes you do all the work, that can be a problem too. Personally, I would probably go for the 1060, wait for Kaby Lake, wait for Zen, as I believe they are both fairly close to launching... I believe by Jan-Feb of the coming year. And then re-evaluate on your CPU. As the newer CPU hardware is so close to coming out, I wouldn't upgrade that at the moment, wait for the new tech to come out so you can pay the same amount of money for something better. :D

Solution

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Hello,

Thanks for your help! I would overclock my CPU but my motherboard doesn't allow me to. I mean the motherboard itself does, there is a overclocking option but its bad at handling it. I think its a MSI 970A-G43 which according to reviews, the temperature or something in the motherboard would fry it (although my cpu does handle low temperatures, usually 35c-45c when in full stress mode). Anyways, im just going to hope for the best i guess. It sucks that it will bottleneck because i bought this cpu thinking it would be of budget and wouldn't bottleneck any brand new budget cpu, but of course that was 1 year ago. Thank you!

P.S. Do you think i will get 50 ish fps in bf1 ultra settings?

EDIT: Found out that the motherboard doesn't have heatsinks for the vrms. Don't exactly know what that means. Should i try to boost it up to 4GHz ?? Thanks

genthug

Honorable
In BF1 on ultra? With the 380x? No, with the 1060? ...Possibly? There aren't many benchmarks on BF1 with a hex core AMD chip to go off of. That being said, DX12 will likely aid your CPU in spreading the load over the entirety of the cores.

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Hello again,

Just found out my cpu has a thing called turbo mode? It takes it up to 4.1 when at full stress... Will that help? Thanks

genthug

Honorable
Yes it will. It's likely been doing it without you even noticing. Out of the box, your CPU has a stock clock speed. It also has a turbo speed. If your CPU is under a heavy load, it will (should) clock up to the turbo speed to aid the processing power of the chip, without any interference from you.

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Yeah i once noticed this when playing modded minecraft (yeah ikr lol) and minecraft with mods is a very cpu intensive game. I opened up task manager to close something that wasn't responding and i saw that my CPU was at 4.0 GHz. I didn't pay much attention to it as i didn't care at the time, but i do in fact remember seeing it once. I am guessing that if it comes where the CPU is being used 100% and the gpu is at like 50% in games the its gpu intensive like battlefield 1, the CPU will auto clock to go to 4.1 Ghz which will make it less of a bottleneck and improve 7 ish fps i suppose? Am i correct? Thanks

genthug

Honorable
It'll clock itself up even if it's using maybe 25-30% of it's processing power. If it's gettin' used, it's clocking itself up. Clock speed doesn't just aid in how much you can compute totally, but how quickly you can compute things as GHz is a measure of clocks per second. More clocks per second, the quicker you can get things done. Even if you're not using your total processing power, it clocks itself up to allow for quicker processing of what it's currently doing.

Tl;dr: Yes you are correct.

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

kk Thank you!