rx 460 or rx 470 vs my i3 2120 for E-sports-gaming @1080p

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
i feel scared getting a rx 470 thinking it will bottleneck alot with my CPU - so id rather get a rx 460 what do you guys think ?

Solution
Getting the RX 460 or the 470 isn't the point if both will be bottlenecked by your CPU.

One will have more extra power remaining while the other some less extra.
If you can, get the 470. Whenever you have the option, switch the CPU for a better one, shortening or erasing the bottleneck on the CPU side.

If you invest a little more now, you won't have to change the GPU again later on when you change the CPU to match it's performance.

And, you can even use some settings in-game to make it be more GPU heavy so the CPU won't have so much load on it, gettin rid a bit of the bottleneck as well

manddy123

Admirable
Getting the RX 460 or the 470 isn't the point if both will be bottlenecked by your CPU.

One will have more extra power remaining while the other some less extra.
If you can, get the 470. Whenever you have the option, switch the CPU for a better one, shortening or erasing the bottleneck on the CPU side.

If you invest a little more now, you won't have to change the GPU again later on when you change the CPU to match it's performance.

And, you can even use some settings in-game to make it be more GPU heavy so the CPU won't have so much load on it, gettin rid a bit of the bottleneck as well

Solution
Get the rx 470, for now the i3 will be fine and when you have the money just upgrade to an i7 2600/3770 which you can find second hand for pretty cheap, and those cpus will be fine for a long time. :) Make sure you have atleast a decent 400w psu aswell.

Even a Xeon E3-1230 might be an option.
It's basically the same as the i7 but without the iGPU. (Which wouldn't be used with a dedicated card anyway.)