Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
My specs are:
CPU: i5-4460
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8gb OC edition
PSU: Corsair CX500
RAM: Crucial CT102464BA 8gb DDR3 Single Stick
HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX

Ok, so I've now had my RX 480 for a while and am loving it. According to benchmarks I've conducted, my PC gets the same sorta score as other PCs with my hardware setup. Apart from this I have no problems with the PC, and am very happy with it overall.

Here's the issue. Every first startup I do, it boots up fine, loads up Windows 10 and lets me log in etc, but as soon as I open up Chrome and go to a website, or I open up Musicbee and start playing music, or just wait a minute or two, I get a bluescreen. The stop code is: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. After it restarts it works fine for the rest of the day, with subsequent shutdowns and boot ups showing no issues. It seems to only happen when the PC has been switched off for a long time, i.e. overnight.

Ram tests came back ok, I formatted my HDD and reinstalled Win10 and it didn't help, sfc /scannow shows no issues, chkdsk shows nothing wrong as well. Gaming performance is perfectly fine and is as good as I hoped. No artifacting or flickering since I uninstalled Sapphire Trixx which seemed to not play very well with my system for some reason.

I have listed this issue under Graphics Cards as it seemed to only begin occurring since I installed my RX 480, it didn't happen with my old GTX 960.

Help and advice would be much appreciated as this is pretty annoying.

PhysX_HW

Distinguished
Try resetting your BIOS (though note down your current boot settings before you do so), and you could also buy a new CR2032 battery for your motherboard. Also, a BIOS update might help, but be careful when you're doing it and do it from the BIOS from a flashdrive, because the windows flash utilities sometimes tend to brick motherboards.

Akula_

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

As I can only make this happen like once a day, I downloaded bluescreenviewer and every bluescreen has the bug check code 0x00000124, which I think is what you are looking for.

Akula_

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

Hmm. I'll check for any BIOS or driver issues, and then I'll try that. I have no other free slots though. This sucks because other than this the card is perfect.

Akula_

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Been googling this for a bit, and it doesn't seem like a GPU could cause this. Only CPU, Voltage irregularities, sometimes MOBO, and quite possibly drivers. I ran Intel's Processor Diagnostics tool and everything passed just fine, including the stress test. My thinking is that it's a driver I forgot to uninstall/update, or a power/voltage irregularity due to the increased power draw from the new GPU. Or maybe it's something completely different that only started to cause errors at the same time my new GPU was installed.

TRENDING THREADS