Power supply - 850W EVGA supernova
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI
Processor - Intel I7 5930k
Ram - x4 8GB Corsair vengeance ddr4
Memory - 1TB Samsung SSD
Cooling - Corsair H100I V2 liquid cooling
And the part that worries me
2x R9 290x 4gb lightning in crossfire.
My question is can that power supply alone support all of that As the GPU's draw almost 600 watts all by themselves thanks for your ears

Solution
Two Radeon R9 290 in 2-way CrossFire draws 661 Watts.

You also have a 140 Watt TDP processor.

With no overclocking you are right on the borderline of the PSU being sufficient.

If you're planning on performing any overclocking whatsoever then you better get a new power supply unit of at least 1000 Watts or greater.
Two Radeon R9 290 in 2-way CrossFire draws 661 Watts.

You also have a 140 Watt TDP processor.

With no overclocking you are right on the borderline of the PSU being sufficient.

If you're planning on performing any overclocking whatsoever then you better get a new power supply unit of at least 1000 Watts or greater.

Solution

Bennett_2

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2016

How does x2 cards with a tdp of 290 use 660 watts? also they are 290x

Maximum power consumption for a single MSI RADEON R9 290X LIGHTNING 4 GB only (i.e. for the graphics card only). It's a non-reference design card so it draws more power than what AMD specifies for the reference design card. There is a reason why MSI put 2 x 8-pin and 1 x 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors on that card. It allows for a theoretical 450 Watt power draw. Tom's Hardware even measured a peak power draw of 425.38 Watts reached during gaming using the factory clocks on the MSI RADEON R9 290X LIGHTNING 4 GB card.

AMD cards have been known, at times, to grossly exceed their specified TDP.

The Radeon R9 295X2 uses two GPUs that are same as the ones used on the Radeon R9 290X.

power_maximum.gif

Bennett_2

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2016

Bennett_2

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2016
sorry, i put my question in the quote box .ok, thanks, if the PSU is not able to support the power draw, can it harm the system? and for the heads up, that power usage is crazy, i might be packing a 1200 watt soon then

BringerOfTea

Reputable
There shouldnt be any harm to the system, it just might become unstable while gaming. as ko888 pointed out you are borderlining the power. I dont know the tests on that PSU, but you can not rely on that it will deliver 100% power at maxium draw.

Dang AMD is power hungry

Bennett_2

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2016

it is 850 watt continuous with gold rating from evga if that helps

If a PSU protection circuit like Over Power Protection or Over Current Protection hasn't been triggered when the system is drawing more power than the PSU is able to supply then you'll experience a spontaneous reboot.

If one of the PSU's internal protection circuits has been triggered then you'll have to cycle the PSU's AC power switch, possibly more than once, to reset the PSU's internal protection circuit.

With two MSI RADEON R9 290X LIGHTNING 4 GB cards a 1200 Watt PSU would be ideal. It is the PSU's maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating that is the most important specification since the GPU(s) (except for ~5 Watts per card from the +3.3V rail) and CPU draw all of their power from the +12V rail(s).

If the PSU couldn't supply enough power there would be no need for overcurrent protection in the first place.