I7 4790 vs i5 6600k (Worth the upgrade?)

ProKeX HD

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Hi, I currently own a pre-built PC (yes I know i'm dumb for doing that) and it contains an i7 4790. I was planning on upgrading my PC and setup and I was wondering, should I keep my current CPU, use less money and suffer looking for a motherboard that is LGA 1150 (since it's so hard to find a decent one; if anyone can quote me one as a reply that would be helpful) or buy a 6600k and have DDR4 RAM and other benefits but pay more for the more expensive components. Any answer will be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
The upgrade is costly and the i7 4790 is a very powerful cpu it is ahead of 6600k in video processing, general app and in most games its on par and it beats the 6600k in newer games. So I dont think you should updgrade to a skylake or kabylake. Because they are only slightly more powerful. You can atleast keep that CPU for 4 years.

Infact you can get fast ddr 3 2400 mhz or above ram 8 GB x2 and run it on dual channel you will see a good improvement in CPU performance.

If the i7 4790k doesn't makes you happy the 6600k wont either do anything good.

Also is you motherboard dead or having issues. THe 4790 is non k cpu w/o oc'ing capability, so getting a high end 1150 board like z97 isnt beneficial.

Ravi_Singh1900

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
The upgrade is costly and the i7 4790 is a very powerful cpu it is ahead of 6600k in video processing, general app and in most games its on par and it beats the 6600k in newer games. So I dont think you should updgrade to a skylake or kabylake. Because they are only slightly more powerful. You can atleast keep that CPU for 4 years.

Infact you can get fast ddr 3 2400 mhz or above ram 8 GB x2 and run it on dual channel you will see a good improvement in CPU performance.

If the i7 4790k doesn't makes you happy the 6600k wont either do anything good.

Also is you motherboard dead or having issues. THe 4790 is non k cpu w/o oc'ing capability, so getting a high end 1150 board like z97 isnt beneficial.

Solution

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Very small upgrade from i7 4790 to i7 6700.
You won't get anything notuceable from it.
A CPU upgrade won't be neccessary for you for a couple more years until Ice Lake or Zen+ arrive. I kid you not.

Better upgrades depending on what you want to do would be to add an SSD, get at least 16GB of RAM.
Or if you are a gamer, small graphics cards like GTX1050 will still fit in small cases and won't stress your pre-built power supply.

ProKeX HD

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016

Well, my motherboard is a crappy HP one which only supports 8 GB RAM and has a bad green colour to it. Im getting a case that has a window and my setup is going to have a red and black theme so i dont want a big green thing in the middle of it all. And It only has one PCI-E x16 slot so it's not very good for future upgrades. And could you quote me a good red and black LGA 1150 mobo if you have the time. I'm caught up in school exams and study right now so it's a bit of an inconvenience.

Ravi_Singh1900

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

I have seen all haswell motherboard supporting 32 GB of RAM. If you want to get a new motherboard get a h97 its supports high speed ram. Asrock H97 Fatality, Asus H97 Progamer, Gigabyte H97 gaming 3 are good looking board will be slightly costly than regular stuff. The Asrock and Asus ones are really looker. Asrock H97 Pro4 is a decent board looks OK with blue color but has great performance almost on part with the 3 costlier board above.

All these board will have more PCIe slots. You can run Dual amd cards on them. BUt in case you want Nvidia sli which requires PCIe-x8 X 2 configuration. You will have to get a z97 or z87 boards. Which are the costliest haswell boards but aren't advisable for locked cpu's.

Also overclocking has been enabled on all haswell based chipsets i.e h81 to z97 all can overclock. So, you can probably get bclk you cpu by 5-7% which is a decent performance boost and couple that will high speed dual channel ddr 3. Bam! you got a decent performance upgrade.

Your average fps wont increase much but I am sure you will see a good improvement in minium fps in games with all these updates.