Which 1080 graphics card

srbraith

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I am buying two 1080's graphics cards and planning on doing custom watercooling.

1) What brand of graphics card is the most reliable?

2) Do i buy the non overclocked version knowing that i can overclock it myself since im watercooling?

I plan on stripping the video card and adding my own water block and faceplates

sorry in advance if im asking noob -ish questions.

Solution
Got myself this cooler, suits my simplistic approach to styling.

http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/razor-gtx-1080

Can't beat a slab o' copper. Though I do note there is a new incompatibility listed with V2 the EVGA 6183, I bought my card a few weeks after release, hopefully mine is V1. :(

Small update, odd that this came up soon after the install. But I did get around to installing that GPU cooler on Friday. A cool 47C is the highest I have seen so far, and the loop still has some bubbles in it, only a mild 109Mhz increase seems 100% stable, but that takes the boost all the way to 2134Mhz.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Any 1080 from a reputable vendor will be reliable. Make sure the water block you want to buy fits on the 1080 you choose, some like the msi gaming, asus rog, evga FTW, and others have custom PCBs so the water block for the founders edition 1080 may not fit on them. No point in spending extra on a card with an OC if you are planning to overclock yourself, however some of those OC cards have beefier VRM setups to possibly allow for higher overcloking head room or at least cooler vrm's which may extend the life of the card.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For my 1080 I split the difference and got a reference board with an aftermarket cooler. EVGA Gaming ACX 3.0 SC. The SC because I hope they binned the chip a little better. Hindsight is annoying, but since I have the waterblock to install and installed that BIOS update, not too concerned about a meltdown.

ACX 3.0 cards should probably be avoided for a few more weeks.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
If you're doing custom cooling get the reference 1080. Or a card with a water block already installed. My two favorite are the MSI Seahawk, and the Zotac Arctic storm 1080's in that order. I've been debating doing that myself and those are the two I would go for. Probably the Seahawk. Which has a Corsair cooling kit, which I am a huge fan of. My H115i is dead quiet.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Got myself this cooler, suits my simplistic approach to styling.

http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/razor-gtx-1080

Can't beat a slab o' copper. Though I do note there is a new incompatibility listed with V2 the EVGA 6183, I bought my card a few weeks after release, hopefully mine is V1. :(

Small update, odd that this came up soon after the install. But I did get around to installing that GPU cooler on Friday. A cool 47C is the highest I have seen so far, and the loop still has some bubbles in it, only a mild 109Mhz increase seems 100% stable, but that takes the boost all the way to 2134Mhz.

Solution