fx 6300 only reaches 3.8 ghz

G

This is my dad's pc so I'm not familiar with what version the bios is. (Will check tomorrow) However I am wondering if a bios update is needed for it to reach 4.1 ghz. The motherboard is an asus m5a97 r2.0

Could this be the problem?

Solution
FX 6300 on stock speed will only reach 4.1 Ghz on 1 core, when you load CPU more it will boost to 3.8 Ghz on all 6.That is how AMD Turbo Boost work on FX 6300 on stock settings/speed without overclocking.
G

Pretty sure that isn't why, the cpu is always at like 20c... I asked this because going through the description of the bios updates I read... "Support new CPUs"

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

You won't deal with CPU heat issues but you could deal with motherboard VRM cooling issues, which will lead to CPU throttling, which is probably what CountMike meant.

Do you know how to overclock properly? Followed any guides?

G

Oh that makes sense, I do know how to overclock but I am not gonna take time out of my day to do that on a pc that isn't mine. Also I don't think that is the issue either, there is adequate airflow in the machine and the motherboard seems fairly decent. (I remember an MSI AMD board I had with no heatsink on the vrms) I set the bios up correctly with all power saving stuff like cool n' quiet turned off, turbo on, etc... There is a vrm heatsink on this one btw.

amtseung

Distinguished
I've lit an M5A97 on fire before trying to overclock an FX8320, back when I was dumb and expected it to perform similarly to the M5A99X without double checking the motherboard's power delivery capabilities. It didn't take very much to light the fire, just a mild 1.55V assigned to the Vcore, launched Prime95, and within 1-2 minutes, there was smoke and a small fire on the mosfet second from the top. Out of all the AMD chipset motherboards I've owned and/or used, I've never had one light on fire at 1.55V. In fact, I've never had one light on fire, even at higher voltages. Except this one.

Consider it a fringe case, but you've been warned. Overclock at your own risk. Especially on that motherboard.

st3v30

Admirable
FX 6300 on stock speed will only reach 4.1 Ghz on 1 core, when you load CPU more it will boost to 3.8 Ghz on all 6.That is how AMD Turbo Boost work on FX 6300 on stock settings/speed without overclocking.

Solution