RX 480: Is this normal? (memory clock spikes and high temp)

Maria Nd Alex

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016
Just installed an RX 480 a few days ago on a Win10 machine. It's NOT overclocked.

(not sure why the picture wont show so heres the imgur link: http://imgur.com/a/Zk2hK )

I understand that higher than average temps can depend on airflow/room temps and other things. Not too worried about that. What i AM worried about is the constant spikes in memory clock usage and even the core clock. Why is it doing this?

I'm only plugged in to 1 monitor via HDMI (to a TV)

I already ran several tests and have not found any malware or virus'.

This is all while browsing reddit on Chrome. No games or vids.

Solution
I have the same card and it does it as well. It drives me crazy because there is no real reason I can think of that would cause this. I can do nothing at all and the core clock is all over the place. My 270x core clock while in 2d mode would always stay the same which was something like 300 or 450. I notice with some games it adjust as well quite a bit. Why would core clock fluctuate like crazy when it shows basically 0 gpu usage.

It shouldn't get hot though. I can overclock mine and run heaven benchmark fully maxed out and it won't even get out of the 60s, but I have the msi gaming x which is known to have good cooling.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
You mean It's constantly going up and down his core and memory usage? I have the same thing. Not worrying me too much though, athough it is weird. I haven't found a solution either yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/4z6zm9/check_your_rx_480_tempsusage_on_idle_desktop_many/

You're not alone.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I have the same card and it does it as well. It drives me crazy because there is no real reason I can think of that would cause this. I can do nothing at all and the core clock is all over the place. My 270x core clock while in 2d mode would always stay the same which was something like 300 or 450. I notice with some games it adjust as well quite a bit. Why would core clock fluctuate like crazy when it shows basically 0 gpu usage.

It shouldn't get hot though. I can overclock mine and run heaven benchmark fully maxed out and it won't even get out of the 60s, but I have the msi gaming x which is known to have good cooling.

Solution

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I just finished playing an online tcg which uses very low resources and my clock speed was the worst I have ever seen it. It bounced around in the 1100s constantly even though it was set to 1303. even now doing nothing it bouncing around between 1,000-1,100 and there is no consistency at all. the only good sign is that when I really push it during higher end games or benchmarks everything seems consistent. this happens mostly in desktop or weaker games

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

I don't know, but it makes me less worried. It actually kind of makes sense because when I stress the gpu out I don't have this issue. If it adjust on the fly based on what is needed then it explains the gpu running what we consider normal when you push it 100%.

Go run heaven benchmark on max settings and take a look in afterburner at your log. for me the clock speed stays really consistent like what I am use to seeing. then go run some low graphics type of game and notice how it fluctuates.

TRENDING THREADS