rx 480 nitro+ overheating questions

Zombie_Trump

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
So Black Friday came around, and I was really hoping on getting a gtx1060-6gb, however, being tight on budget, and the Sapphire nitro+ Rx 480(8gb) having a way better discount and deal overall where I leave, I made the rash decision of buying that along with a brand new rig, made from pieces.

I'm no expert on computers, but I saw a lot of people talk about this rx480 as having some heat issues, and going above 80*Celsius if not well ventilated. I am curious if i have made a mistake, since I am planning on keeping this card at least 3-4years.

The Psu i got is Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W. And I'm confident it's strong enough to power anything. However I have doubts if
1. the MSI b150m-Mortar Mobo is safe(wont melt or anything with this particular hot GPU) or
2. The Zalman Z3-plus Case with 4vents/coolers included is enough to keep the GPU cool(along with those 2sapphire ones on the card) or I would need some extra cooling help

I appreciate anyone who's knowledgeable on that RX480 or cooling to pitch in with their oppinions on the matter. Thanks a million.

Solution
I have the Nitro+ OC and I've undervolted it. Mine doesn't go higher than 60-62 degrees at ~35% fan speed in stress testing. You can see my specs below and the setup I'm running the GPU in.

The card is supposed to reach up to 74-75 degrees celcius in normal living room temperatures, anything higher does indicate something wrong.

As said above, you can undervolt the GPU and win 10 degrees of cooling pretty easily. The RX 480's ship with higher voltage than needed.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
I have the Nitro+ OC and I've undervolted it. Mine doesn't go higher than 60-62 degrees at ~35% fan speed in stress testing. You can see my specs below and the setup I'm running the GPU in.

The card is supposed to reach up to 74-75 degrees celcius in normal living room temperatures, anything higher does indicate something wrong.

As said above, you can undervolt the GPU and win 10 degrees of cooling pretty easily. The RX 480's ship with higher voltage than needed.

Solution

Zombie_Trump

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
idk how undervolting works or what it is, but I wouldnt mind noise(ramping up fans), and ill make sure to get the trixx when it arrives and set it as cool and safe as possible, thanks, i hope when dx12 becomes more popular, I'll laugh at ever doubting this card haha

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
It's a great GPU. Undervolting is advisable for every RX 480 user since Polaris GPU's undervolt really well in general. What does undervolting mean? It's simply lowering your GPU's voltage without changing your GPU's clock speed and then running a stresstest (3DMark Firestrike I use) to see if It's stable. This lowers power draw, fan speed and makes the GPU run more stable in performance overall, It's more efficient.

Refer to these links to learn more:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/51jyjm/undervolting_whats_the_point/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qoclm/german_site_explores_the_potential_for/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5cnv58/i_tested_the_impact_of_undervolting_on_my_rx_470/