R9 270 Crossfire vs. RX 480

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I originally bought my MSI R9 270 for $120. Since the introduction of the RX 480, the price of the R9 270 has dropped to $69. My motherboard allows for Crossfire. So far, I have not played a game where I seemed to have needed it. My highest resolution monitor is 1200p and I seem to be able to play everything on high or even ultra settings without issue. However, the most recent PC game I own is Arkham Knight - I have not yet tried to play that one, and I have a feeling it might benefit from a bit more horsepower. Do I Crossfire with a secondary R9 270 for an added boost, or do I sell my R9 270 and upgrade to an RX 480? The cost will come to the same. I know there is a difference in power usage, but my PSU is 850. Or would I do better to invest in upgrading the CPU from a G3258 to an i5? (also if someone feels the need to point to an Nvidia alternative, I am open to that as well)

Solution
You have to remember not all games support dual gpu setups and you also have to deal with some games that DO support dual gpu setups having micro stutter. If you are happy with your gpu performance now then stick with it and focus on the motherboard and processor.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

It's always been my intention to upgrade (on principle, not because I've experienced any bottlenecks) but between the CPU or the GPU upgrade which is the more needful in your estimation? It's $200 either way, but I can't do both at once.

You have to remember not all games support dual gpu setups and you also have to deal with some games that DO support dual gpu setups having micro stutter. If you are happy with your gpu performance now then stick with it and focus on the motherboard and processor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS