HD 6700 getting hot

bubblegum_bill

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Hi there,

I recently started having a go at gaming on a PC that was lent to me while I am building my own rig. I tested with minecraft which I reckon is pretty light on hardware. However, despite getting 140fps+ on max settings, the GPU (AMD 6700) got very hot according to GPU-z, around 100 degrees Celsius with 105 max. Despite this, the fan is only running at 81% at this temp, and GPU core usage is less than 50%. I'm not sure what is generating all the heat. Anyone have any ideas? Is it unsafe to run the HD 6700 at this temperature? Am I risking component death? Should I underclock if necessary? I thought it might be dust but I shouldn't open the case without his permission.

Btw the CPU is an i7 2600 at 3.4ghz. It's a Dell XPS 8300

Solution
could be a few things it wis quite an older card now so there is a chance that the thermal paste could use a change. But first set the fan curve to max out at 70C and see how hot it starts getting.

bubblegum_bill

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Okay, I will try that. Do I need a specific program to run that? What do you recommend?
Also, the graphics card crashed last night, probably due to overheating. Thankfully it still works!

bubblegum_bill

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
No worries, I will try afterburner sometime this weekend if I can. Will post how it goes.
I ran more tests at idle with GPU Z and it's running at 81 degrees C at 1% load which isn't too good!