is this rx 480 good for my budget gaming build

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LECTVS4/?tag=pcpapi-20 i want to play current future and old games at ultra settings at 60+fps with no lag or bottlenecks or heat problems im going to get a 1080p monitor sometime next year

gigabyte ga h97m d3h
intel i5 4590 3.3ghz
kingston hyperx fury black 16gb(2x8gb)
antec earthwatts green 650w 80+bronze
seagate hard drive 1tb
va1913w viewsonic resolution 1366x768

Solution
Not sure what the first response means by it wouldn't be enough. It definitely will run all of that just fine. It can run most AAA titles around 60+fps in 1440p and 90+fps in 1080p on high / ultra settings w/o tweaking. You won't have a bottleneck with that CPU. You might want a SSD drive to dramatically speed up your everyday typical usage and reduce load time during gaming to 0. Make sure you have good cooling because the GPU will warm the inside of the computer up some and your CPU will be running more than before you had the GPU. Nothing special, just check that you have adequate fans and airflow.

I personally wouldn't buy that card, it's overpriced.. You shouldn't pay more than 220$ for one of the higher models of a 4gb 480...
Hi,

i want to play current future and old games at ultra settings at 60+fps with no lag or bottlenecks or heat problems im going to get a 1080p monitor sometime next year
Then it wouldn't be enough with three of these card running together in Crossfire...in an open chassis with lots of fans....

I would say it is impossible to foresee what type of future fast fps-games that is coming.

Crysis 3 from 2013 will actually play good at highest graphics settings on a RX-480 card.
And this is impressing, since Crysis 3 is still one of the today's most demanding games together with Far Cry 4, Metro Last Night Redux etc. BF4 and BF One is just a little bit less demanding..
Crysis 3 also req. some hefty CPU when running at highest settings. It is actually a good credential for AMD RX-480 and next Year the next generation AMD Vega graphics will be released...

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvJYwgTnBRk"][/video]

But maybe You have a hint of what type of games you primary are looking for?
Because not all games are extremely GPU thirsty and demand lots of graphics memory.

Best regards from Sweden

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Not sure what the first response means by it wouldn't be enough. It definitely will run all of that just fine. It can run most AAA titles around 60+fps in 1440p and 90+fps in 1080p on high / ultra settings w/o tweaking. You won't have a bottleneck with that CPU. You might want a SSD drive to dramatically speed up your everyday typical usage and reduce load time during gaming to 0. Make sure you have good cooling because the GPU will warm the inside of the computer up some and your CPU will be running more than before you had the GPU. Nothing special, just check that you have adequate fans and airflow.

I personally wouldn't buy that card, it's overpriced.. You shouldn't pay more than 220$ for one of the higher models of a 4gb 480.. This one is 25$ less and is one of the best built / top rated / reviewed cards out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137032&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-137-032-_-Product

The 1060 is a bit better overall and runs cooler so if the price is right that could be a good choice. I personally went with a 480 because AMD is set up to possibly have better dual gpu support in the future. It would be fairly cheap to add a second 480 18 months from now which is somewhere between a 1070/1080 in games that support it. I do agree with others that the 1060 is a slightly better overall card, but something else to consider is quality. You can buy a top of the line 480 such as the one I linked vs a lower tier 1060 for the same price or maybe even less..

If you go to www.jet.com they have a single fan 1060 from gigabyte for 170$ total price with tax and all. use the coupon code shopping15 or tripple15. There is also a dual fan 1060 from msi, their base model card for 185$ total price. I don't have experience with gigabyte so I passed on that deal and went with what I knew would be built of top quality parts, but I hear some mixed things from them. The MSI card on jet is also really good, but it's the one that runs a little warmer and doesn't have a back plate either, but for the price it's a pretty damn good deal.

Solution

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016

what about this one i wouldnt mind paying a bit more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LECTVS4/?tag=pcpapi-20 and about the cooler you said for my build any suggestions because i dont want to take chances also will not having an SSD affect my gaming performance

DillonJ3K

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
if your set on a rx 480, having used amd cards for years before switching to nvidia i can recommend sapphire, gigabyte, and msi. Those are my 3 go to for card makers. Iv had 2 gigabyte cards not counting the one i have from them right now thats a gtx 1070 but theyv always held up well. You'll hear mixed reviews for every brand, it comes down to personal experience for the top brands for everyone really. But they all do well as far as my experience goes.
I would look into getting one with 2 fans though as the blower style fans arnt very good for cooling.
Also with the ssd, it wont effect fps in any way what so ever. What having an ssd will do is make your windows os feel a lot quicker an more responsive. It will decrease load times dramatically for every program installed on the ssd.That includes games. They will start up faster, an in certain games that have instances or loading screens between maps an areas, those will be faster as well.It is noticeable an long load screen times between maps or areas can break immersion for a lot people.
Hope all this helps.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Your link is the asus for 225$ it's the same model you posted right? I'm on my phone driving hard to check.. 225$ is to high for a 4gb 480. You can get more premium versions for 199$ right now..

Check this out, sale just started.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IEKYD5U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479592249&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=msi+1060+6gb

For a6gb 1060 this is an amazing price. They typically do for at least 30$ more plus this might be the best non reference model available.

the one you linked isn't bad by any means, you can just get equal or better for less or much better for a little more

Neweggs msi version of the 480 4gb is a higher model, better cooling and only 199$ with 20 rebate

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
One more thing just for a point of reference. The Asus dual is the lowest model Asus, not bad just pointing it out for comparisons. The msi for 25$ less plus another 20$ mail in rebate 45$ less total and it is the highest model they make with their highest grade parts and fans

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016

what about this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125907&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I don't have experience with gigabyte products. I hear nothing but great things about Asus, evga and msi. I hear mixed things with gigabyte. If you want gigabyte they have a dual fan 1060 for only 180$ on jet.com

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016

im going with the asus dual another thing will my build need a non stock cooler

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
The stock gpu fans are fine. What I was saying about cooling before was just about airflow in general. I don't see your PC so its hard to tell, just something to pay attention to because it could get warm.if this is your first gpu then make sure to set a custom fan curve, they work much better than most stock curves.

Typically if you have 1 fan from front blowing to back, one on side going in and a rear exhaust then you will stay fairly cool.