100% CPU Usage after HDD format

Braiinfreeze

Reputable
Nov 19, 2016
Hi there,

I recently formatted my HDD (twice) because things were running a little slow and I couldn't play the games I wanted, (despite having above spec requirements).

After reinstallation of OS win10, I downloaded the game I wanted and it still ran like shit. First thing I did was go to Task manager/Processes and noticed that my CPU was at 100% and disk usage was at 100%.

Thought that I might've downloaded a virus, so I decided to format HDD again.. (which I found out doesn't always clear all viruses).. strange thing was I couldn't find the "reset this pc" in system settings.. it was literally gone. So I had to reset to factory using cmd. (another reason I thought I might have a virus).

After another long format of the HDD and reinstallation of OS win10, CPU usage is still at 100% and memory is around 34. Disk is back to a stable 0-4%.

Did some research on the internet and thought that a driver issue made the most sense considering the recent HDD formats. (apparently leaving driver selection up to Microsoft has screwed a lot of people over).. So I went to Device Manager and disabled a Network Adapter (Wifi adapter), went back to processes and noticed a solid 14-16% CPU usage during idle. Enabled it and it spiked again.

It's possible that I could have a virus, I suppose.. but I'm too impatient to run a full scan with Mcafee.

Also, 64 background processes and 28 windows processes after OS reinstallation. Is this normal? .. idk what any of these processes are/do.

What are your Suggestions/opinions? Is there a program I can use to help investigate my drivers? What do I do when I find out which drivers are causing the problem? Downgrade? Where can I find the drivers?

Solution
Test your hard drive with Seatools for Windows or Seatools for DOS. Run the short tests and if no errors then run the long tests.
Run CrystalDiskInfo to see if it generates anything other than a Good rating on the hard drive.
If no issues there, boot into Safe Mode and let us know what the CPU and drive percentages are.
Yes, some WiFi drivers are i real problem after updates. Some people solve it by installing older (and proper) WiFi drivers and turn off automatic driver updating.
As for formatting and viruses, just a format may not clear them but disk needs to be totally erased and all partitions deleted and than install windows which will make them as necessary, only then you can be reasonably sure everything is gone.
You also mentioned McAfee, are you using it full time ?. It can be a lot of a load on the system.

Braiinfreeze

Reputable
Nov 19, 2016

Yes I'm still using McAfee. Is there something else you might recommend? (preferably freeware). I disabled Superfetch in Services.exe and found that it had an incredible impact. For anyone having similar issues that should be your starting ground.

Is there anything else you can suggest to max out performance? I want my computer to be running at the absolute bare minimums. It would be nice if I could boot my computer in SafeMode or PE, but someone told me that I wouldn't be able to use DirectX to play games at that point.

Tried using Razer Cortext after each HDD format, and both times it made matters a lot worse.

I've disabled tons of unnecessary Services.. Disabled Startups in Task Manager.. I'm going to try Changing Power Plan.. it's already at 'max performance'.. but for example I might be able to change Link State Power Management to "No power savings when plugged in" .. things like that that might help?

I have a serious gut feeling that the problem is with my drivers.. I just don't know where to start. Notebook is less than a year old.. it's not a gaming computer, but I should still be able to run 90's games ffs.

Last things I can think of is ending Explorer.exe, getting an eGPU, or building a desktop rig that I can't afford.

Here are my specs:

2vtobki.jpg

143zxwj.png

All help is greatly appreciated,
-Braiinfreeze

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Test your hard drive with Seatools for Windows or Seatools for DOS. Run the short tests and if no errors then run the long tests.
Run CrystalDiskInfo to see if it generates anything other than a Good rating on the hard drive.
If no issues there, boot into Safe Mode and let us know what the CPU and drive percentages are.

Solution
McAfee is known to be a resource hog, I would replace it with Avast free for instance although I find Windows Defender quite good enough and lighter than most of other AVs. Supplanted with Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner with which to comb thru system occasionally.