i7 4790 (non k) with GTX 1080 ti?

Jun 23, 2015
I already have an i7 4790 (non k).

Would this CPU be a good fit for a single GTX 1080 ti ?

What do ya'll speculate about even a high range 1100 series card with this CPU?

I play BF1, Doom, GTA V, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 etc. ---> and am looking to get Dishonored 2, Dead Rising 4, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Star Citizen, Red Dead Redemption 2, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 7, Ghost Recon: Wildlands and more.

My current specs are: [CPU] i7 4790, [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 gb 1600mhz , [GPU] Asus GTX 970, [PSU] Corsair AX 860, [Motherboard] GA-H97-D3H and [Monitor] Asus 1080p 60hz (Will be upgrading).

Any insight will be much appreciated :) !

-Cookies

Solution
Well, before I say anything else I would like to better explain how 'cpu bottlenecking' works. It's not a matter of whether the CPU can communicate with the GPU and you end of with a bottle with too much mentos in it, it's actually the game, and how well the CPU can handle the tasks the game gives it. So a GPU that can handle a game on ultra at 4k paired with a low end CPU that cant even handle Minecraft is going to yield some bad results.

9/10 times I hear this question and explain this users are able to answer their own question, will my relatively modern high end cpu keep up with current games? If yes, it's likely to have no problems paired with a high end GPU.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Well, before I say anything else I would like to better explain how 'cpu bottlenecking' works. It's not a matter of whether the CPU can communicate with the GPU and you end of with a bottle with too much mentos in it, it's actually the game, and how well the CPU can handle the tasks the game gives it. So a GPU that can handle a game on ultra at 4k paired with a low end CPU that cant even handle Minecraft is going to yield some bad results.

9/10 times I hear this question and explain this users are able to answer their own question, will my relatively modern high end cpu keep up with current games? If yes, it's likely to have no problems paired with a high end GPU.

Solution