100% disk usage happening across multiple (new) drives

mwebbsup

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello,

I am having a lot of problems with trying to get a new drive to work on my computer. I have a 250gb SSD that works great - no problems there. My windows and some games are on that.
However, I've had a ton of problems with getting my other 1tb HDD to work at all. It first started with my old drive that I was using for the same purpose. I was having a hard time installing anything from steam on it, and even though chkdsk was giving me no errors I decided I was frustrated enough to just go ahead and buy a different HDD and start fresh (I only use this pc for games). I haven't been able to get the new drive to work at all. I installed it fine, am able to format it as a D drive, etc etc. Whenever I get to where I start installing stuff on it though, disc activity jumps to 100% and just about everything shuts down. Here is a breakdown of some of the things that happen, as well as some of the things I have tried.

-task manager freezes up or will not open
-I can't shut down my computer from the windows menu, my computer just remains on until I muscle it off with the actual power button
-no downloads work, they may begin for a few mbs, but quickly halt and do not go any further -100% disc usage through task manager
-sometimes my wallpaper goes black when im pissing it off

Things I've tried:
- I recently tried unchecking the windows tips in my settings
- disabled the fetch deal that I have seen suggested throughout several posts
- made the changes in chrome and skype that I saw recommended

This is really frustrating for me. Working with a 250SSD with a bunch of games is no bueno. Any help or advice is very much appreciated!
Specs: gtx 1070 i7 4790k
edit: the weirdest thing to me is that this happened with 2 different HDDs, so it seems like somethign else is going on besides a failing hard drive. Doing anything, just trying to open up files on the other drive is INCREDIBLY slow, even though there is nothing on the disk.

Solution
Try different, known working cables to connect the HDD.

Make sure that the jumper pins (if any) are correctly installed.

Look in your Event Viewer logs to see if there are any error codes that correspond with the disk usage jumping.

Peformance Monitor and Resource Monitor may help identify a specific process or service that corresponds with the 100% disk usage.

You are correct that the same problem on two different HDDs is "weird". So the objective is to dig a bit deeper into what your system is doing and identify some other common (and hopefully fixable) issue.

Shut down as many applications as you can to simplify possibilities. If the problem stops then start bringing back those applications one by one. When disk usage hits...

Ralston18

Titan
Try different, known working cables to connect the HDD.

Make sure that the jumper pins (if any) are correctly installed.

Look in your Event Viewer logs to see if there are any error codes that correspond with the disk usage jumping.

Peformance Monitor and Resource Monitor may help identify a specific process or service that corresponds with the 100% disk usage.

You are correct that the same problem on two different HDDs is "weird". So the objective is to dig a bit deeper into what your system is doing and identify some other common (and hopefully fixable) issue.

Shut down as many applications as you can to simplify possibilities. If the problem stops then start bringing back those applications one by one. When disk usage hits 100% again then you will at least know the source of the problem.

Solution

mwebbsup

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

Will give all this a try tonight, thank you!