I5 6500 overclocking problem

Arsenalk

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
So I overclocked my 6500 to 4.19 MHz on gigabyte z170 k3, it worked perfect for 2 days and I desided to oc it a little more, at 4.4 after booting in windows error occurred and I rebooted to 4.2 and it showed same error, windows didn't boot at any frequency except base without oc. What do I need to do to oc it again?

Solution

Intel is doing a lot of weird stuff to try and disable non k overcloking even people with older bios's that supported it. What does that windows error say specifically? I have heard about intel possibly trying to get microsft to nerf it on an OS level.

If its not something weird that intel is doing I would try resetting the BIOS to defaults and start over, maybe clear the CMOS as well. There could be some lingering setting that's messing everything up.

I would try to find a good guide, maybe something here...
Well first off, it's not safe, nor recommended to overclock a non-K CPU. So if it fries or gets messed up, it will not be covered by warranty.

It was not designed to be overclocked. I get it, it worked for a few days, and you're lucky that it didn't fry.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Who said that? Its just as safe to overclock a non k cpu using the BLCK method as it would be a k cpu, assuming voltages are in check and you keep it cool. I dont think there is anything special about the k cpu's other than intel unlocking the multiplier, a 6500 from my understanding is the same as a 6600k minus the unlocked multiplier and higher stock clock speed. And if you fry a K cpu due to overvolting the hell out of it or something, I doubt your going to be covered by warranty either. Where are you getting this info about non k cpus?

As for the OP's question, I have no idea BLCK overcloking is much harder to get stable than multiplier overcloking, as it changes more than just the clock of the cpu. What are your memory speeds at? Turning up the base clock will increse memory speeds as well as cpu speeds.

Honestly i'm surprised you are even still able to do this at all, do you have an old bios? I thought intel locked this down shortly after launch.

Arsenalk

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Dunlop0078, voltage was 1.325 and ram frequency around 2800 (3000 actual ram speed). I don't understand why it is not working on previous settings, which it worked on before

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Intel is doing a lot of weird stuff to try and disable non k overcloking even people with older bios's that supported it. What does that windows error say specifically? I have heard about intel possibly trying to get microsft to nerf it on an OS level.

If its not something weird that intel is doing I would try resetting the BIOS to defaults and start over, maybe clear the CMOS as well. There could be some lingering setting that's messing everything up.

I would try to find a good guide, maybe something here: http://overclocking.guide/category/intel-oc-guides/skylake-non-k-oc/

Solution