i5 6600 or i7 6700

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
Hey guys! Black Friday anndd comes a doubt.

So I have in my cart a i5 6600 and a gtx 1060 for excellent price. I already have a 1tb hd, and if I keep this setup, I can add another hd and maybe a ssd with the lefting money. But there is a interesting deal with the i7 6700. I won't be able to buy the hard drives though.

Which of these two is a better choice? I don't think that in gaming or editing will a big difference, and I can add more space and everything buying the i5 (which is a great cpu). What do you think?

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

Thank you! I just wanted a second opinion because.. c'mon right? The 6600 is a great cpu and then I still have money to buy another hd. Well, in the end, I couldn't finish my purchase because of some bug of the website and didn't get a lot of discount.

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

Exactly! The 6600 is great. And do you think that even in rendering the difference would be so big?

You probably WOULD notice a difference. How much? I'm not sure tbh. :)

xFeaRDom

Estimable
From recently going from rendering on a 4590 to a 6700HQ or 6700U (Not sure which one), the render times are much better, went from probably 15 Minutes per Minute of Video Footage, to around 2 minutes per minute. It did slow down to around 5 minutes per minute, but the performance increase is great for rendering. Although the 6600 is a better CPU over mine :p

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

Yeah, but not that by much, I think. The 4590 should still be very good. The difference can be good, since the i7 are all... well, very good haha But I meant that these i5 are too very good, and more than enough. I'm not crazy about rendering a 4k video in 1 minute hehe.

I'm lost here... You changed a CPU once, yet the render speed changed twice? I must be missing something, please clarify.

xFeaRDom

Estimable

Well it was on a PC to a Laptop, and its obviously not going to stay at the same speed forever, after I installed a lot of things, as it was a brand new laptop, it'd quite clearly slow down, either way, it fluctuated depending on the video, and still an improvement.

Kold962

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
In my opinion I would go Rory the 6700 due to the hyper threading, I know everyone says you only need an i5 but newer games are starting to take advantage of more than 4 cores. Battlefield 1 will max out a 4930k with hyper threading turned off and will also max out a 3770k with hyper threading on

Battlefield 1 is a mess. Let's not use it as an example of a game that's good at using CPU resources... It's a perfect example of how not to optimize a game.

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

But BF1 is really optimized, I don't know when it comes to the using of the cpu, but still. Anyway, the 6600 will be excelent, right, weberdarren? You will have more frames with an i7, but in benchmarks the difference is not so big that it worths the extra money for me, and it's not bottlenecking. And I doubt that an i5 will ever not be enough for gaming.