CF 6970 rig suddenly cannot play games, driver crashes, GPU-Z causes BSOD

Nimble223

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
A few details about my system

Windows 7
AMD crosshair v formula mainboard
AMD Phenom II 980 black edition processor
16gb ram (can't remember the brand offhand)
500gb western digital HD 7200rpm
Crossfired visiontek 6970s
Crappy rosewill 700watt PSU (please don't yell at me, I know it was a dumb idea)

As-mentioned, I suddenly one day recently after years of reliable service I could not run any graphically intensive games, I should probably say that in quotes because not even something piddly as Running With Rifles would work.

I should also note that I HAVE in fact used Catalyst control center to overclock the performance of the GPU, although it has never in the past ever so much as crashed from it. Perhaps it shortened the life span of the card.

The first incident involved Arma 3 hanging my computer, each subsequent game I've tried, they haven't started and eventually quit back to the OS.

Trying to run GPU-Z has reliably caused BSOD errors now, the only thing that might point to something other than the GPU being borked (or perhaps both), is that in the windows event viewer I would get kernel power failure notifications whenever I'd experience a GPU-associated BSOD.

I am also less-frequently getting notifications that my display drivers have stopped and have recovered, this is also a very recent phenomena coinciding with the BSOD errors. Aside from this the computer seems to generally run okay for mundane tasks.

Additionally, I would also see driver related events as well. atikmpag.sys and others.

One other indicator perhaps that the PSU is implicated is that my system doesn't like coming out of sleep mode anymore, and the screen turns black except for the task bar when it does (I cannot see the cursor).

I've tried using DDU to clean the drivers out and reinstall new ones and that failed, the computer would not start after the installation of the new drivers which to me seems indicative of one or both of the GPUs being damaged in some way, at least other people with the same problem found that to be the case.

There are a few things I have not done, my first order of business was to attempt to reinstall drivers to see if that fixed the problems after wiping the old ones from the system. Since my pc would only make it to a black screen after that happened, I haven't progressed much further.

I plan to test each card individually, however outside of that I don't really have many other plans for diagnosing the problem. I think I've covered pretty much everything that's happened that might shed light on what might be the problem, any help in figuring out what my problem is would be appreciated.

make sure you test your power supply too because you only have problems playing games and have your computer ever restarted or shut down while you was playing a game if so your power supply is to blame try using another power supply and see if everything runs fine.