RX 480 MSI Gaming X 4GB GPU, usage, core clock, and memory clock spiking.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I just got my RX 480 on a sale last Friday on Amazon, and I couldn't pass it up. Removed my GTX 950, and added this card expecting much better performance in games, but I've noticed in some cases performance is actually worse. My system specs are as follows:

RX 480 MSI Gaming X 4GB
AMD FX8320e OC'd 3.8Ghz
Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz
ASUS M5A78L-M
EVGA 500W 80+ PSU

So performance is very variable per game. For example, in Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Star Wars Battlefront I can not maintain 60+FPS. In both games my frame rates are more like 60's down to the low 30's, and its worse in Mirror's Edge for some reason because at medium settings it will hardly even touch 60FPS. Which in both games my 950 had no issues hugging that 60FPS line, give or take. However, in other games like Hitman, Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (a broken game) I hardly get any noticeable drops, and if I do its no where below 50. Also, in Rise of the Tomb Raider when I try to run with DX12 the gaem crashes, and in DX11 the game runs better than my 950, but worse because it will consistently bounce between 28 to mid 50's.

So I'm not sure if its a bottleneck or what because also when idle my GPU graph is really strange. My core clock, mem clock, and usage will sharply spike up and down very frequently when I'm hardly even doing anything. Temps are fine because GPU never goes above 70 when gaming, but when ever playing games the core and mem clock will flatten out, so I'm not sure what to think of everything else.

GPU%20graph.PNG

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
the rx 480 should offer performance between 970 -980.Also which OS are you using.DX12 is currently only supported on win10.As for the sudden spikes,try running a full malware byte system scan to see if anything is messing with the gpu.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Yep, I have Windows 10. Also, how can malware screw with the GPU?

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016

There is a certain malware that hackers use for bitcoin mining so there is a slight chance that you might have got it.Apart from that try to reinstall drivers after fully removing nvidia once

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Yes, I did that first thing before switching GPU's. I even uninstalled AMD drivers again today, then did a second wipe of Nvidia drivers just to insure nothing was left, reinstalled AMD drivers, and no changes.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I might have discovered the culprit. Now its not perfect, but my frame issues might have been from a program I use by NZXT called CAM to draw FPS. It was causing ROTR to crash when trying to startup with DX12, and then I tried again with CAM off and it worked. I also tried playing ME:Catalyst and SW:Battlefront without it on and FPS some considerably better, although in ME:Catalyst FPS was still crappy regardless of setting it was best with everything on Medium. So I guess that might have been my problem, an overlay. I'll let you guys know if I notice any other weird behaviors in games.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
So my issue isn't quite fixed yet, and my graph is still going crazy. I thought maybe CAM was the issue, but doesn't quite seem to be the case. I've been playing Titanfall 2 since its free to play this weekend, and last night it ran relatively fine. Today I started playing again, and I had all kinds of hitching, and it was hard to play. Not quite sure to make of this.

Check graph out here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByVaAh8XUj63UmhUWjl0eEJMQkU

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
Hi Daniel,

Sry if i was late to respond to these thread but could you check if any other application is using GPU resource.

For example you can see this thread:https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/new-malware-mines-bitcoin/

also update the amd card to latest Relive Driver.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
So I added same heatsinks to my motherboard last night like I've be meaning too the past few months, and I've been monitoring the performance of the GPU while idle, and I've notice an improvement. While before the graph would go crazy when just doing nothing now its flat most of the time. Now I still get spikes in the core and activity when doing stuff like web browsing, haven't tested games yet even though in most games the graph was flat anyways, but I'm assuming I might see less drops simply because what was possibly unstable voltage isn't causing the clocks of my CPU to drop. So when I get on a game that has unstable performance later tonight I'll let you know how it turns out.