HD 5850 isn't working on pc

Mana__Tonuu

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
I have just built my first pc. I put in a Geforce 7600gs and it seemed to work fine with my pc but when I put in a HD 5850 the pc wont even start properly. With the HD 5850 in there is no display, the keyboard's num lock doesn't flash like it usually does and there are no beeps. Both 6-pins are connected and the fans on the gpu are running. I tested the gpu out on another pc and the same thing happened. I'm low on money so im trying to avoid having to buy a new gpu.
Thanks in advance

Mana__Tonuu

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

Yeah should be. The pc I built has a 700w psu and my other pc has a 500w that can run a gtx 1060.

Using this as a general guide to power requirements of graphics cards, you ought to be fine. I will comment that according to the chart a GTX 1060 requires less than an HD 5850.

As others may say, the wattage isn't a guarantee of the quality of supply. It is something to consider at least. (It's what I would scrutinise first.) Any idea about the voltage on the rails of your power supply? You use something like HWMonitor to check them.

There is the possibility the HD 5850 is simply dead.