RX 480 black flickering only when gaming with displayport

kilerz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Hi,

I recently purchased an xfx rs rx 480 8gb Graphics card, and an LG 27UD68P monitor. I noticed that when I play any demanding game like tomb raider, Deus ex, Forza apex, on with the display port cable, I get an intermittent black flickering. This occurs only in games, not youtube videos or on desktop.

I tried an HDMI cable and all flickering stopped, but of course I lost access to Freesync which I'm not willing to lose.

What do you guys think the problem is? The way is see it is:
1. Bad displayport cable ( unfortunately I don't have another one lying around, but I do use the LG one that came with my monitor).
2. Issues with my graphics card and its current drivers ( I've tried multiple versions of drivers, none helped me)
3. simply a bad graphics cards ( which I don't think so 'cus it worked with HDMI and I've tried all my display ports and issue remains)
4. compatibility issues between monitor and graphics card, meaning if I changed one for a different brand it would probably work.

or, any other ideas?

Thanks

kilerz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I should note that I have a 1000W PSU, i7 2700k, and 8gb of Ram. Also, that if I reduce the resolution to 2550x1440 or less than it, the flickering will stop occurring when plugged into DisplayPort. So maybe it is just a faulty cable not providing enough bandwidth?