New 1080 artifacts with high FPS

Bunken92

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
Hi just bought a new 1080 and noticed artifacts when i was in WoW login screen and character screen. Didnt notice it once i got into the game nor in any other game so far.

I tried underclocking, increasing voltage etc but nothing worked (i get those artifacts with stock settings). I then tried turning on Vsync for some reason which removed the artifacts, also if i turned on max fps 200 through the GPU overclocking program they also dissapeared.

I used fraps and noticed i had 1000 FPS in both the login screen and the characted screen without Vsync or any FPS capping so i now wonder if the card is defect or if it could be the hugh FPS that causes the problems, should a normal card be able to handle any amount of FPS?

Also to add i have tried Furmark, OCCT, Unigine Heaven and Firestrike and havent seen any artifacts with stock clocks in those.

EDIT: Made a thread on the Battle.net forums and asked also. Also noticed that in a thread complaining about poor performance from 1070 and 1080s in WoW there was a guy that wrote that he also had artifacts and only in login screen and character screen, so starting to think its nothing wrong with my card but something with either the super high FPS or/and WoW

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
if you're not seeing the same problem anywhere else then maybe its the game or ingame setting. you also said ur running at 1kfps, maybe its the insane amount of refreshes thats creating these artifacts. btw you wont need anything close to 1kfps, all you're doing is putting more work load on the gpu for zero gains.

Bunken92

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

https://gyazo.com/d7e01005a6f43cfa8b52eae3a8abd910

Those are my speccs, the PSU is an old Corsair HX 750W 80+ Silver.

Gonna try and downgrade drivers and see if it makes any difference, but it feels like its something with the 1000 FPS from the game since i dont have any artifacts whatsoever in any other games or stress test programs when pushing the GPU to the max.

TRENDING THREADS