i5 6600 running hot and loud with stock cooler

NkK

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Recently built my first pc. Got it all running. Upon loading up Minecraft for a simple test the cpu started making a ton of noise. Downloaded core temp to check temperatures. Would go from 40°c to 90°c real quick. This happens with simple things too. Like opening Google chrome. My pc is off right now because I'm worried I broke something. I'm using the stock cooler and fan. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution

Did you make sure all the pins on the stock cooler are pushed down? You shouldn't be coming anywhere close to 90c.

Did you make sure all the pins on the stock cooler are pushed down? You shouldn't be coming anywhere close to 90c.

Solution

NkK

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Just checked the four screw pin things on the cooler. The idle temperature is now more around 20°c 25°c. One of the pins was bent and I had to try and fix it. I believe i got all the pins in now but I'm not sure. The fan now sounds much more consistent with no sudden throttling. Playing mc now leaves me at about 35°c to 45°c Is this normal now. And if not what should I do?

You're good to go. 45c is A LOT better.