$1000 US Build, Looking for Tweaks? Recommendations maybe

EzTec

Distinguished
Hey everyone, so I have a really awesome build of my own but I am looking to build another for a buddy and I put this together for roughly 1k bucks. I wanted to get a watercooler and SSD for the OS and a nice side window case but can't seem to get everything I want apparently so I thought I would ask some of you if you can build something better or tweak what I already have :)

Thanks for the help people :) (Adding in: Thinking about changing the case to the NZXT S340 in black or white... leaning towards white though)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card ($404.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1008.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-03 17:18 EST-0500

Solution

Drop that i5 6600k as it will be useless for it's price if you aren't getting a z170 motherboard. Without that it won't be able to oc and you will spend money on an unused feature. Get a i5 6400-6600 instead.
You can save some money by getting this card:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nQPzK8/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-mini-itx-oc-video-card-gv-n1070ixoc-8gd

And then you can afford a 250gb ssd. Also get a cheaper b150m motherboard because with that one you are paying a bit extra just for the looks/name.

EzTec

Distinguished

You can overclock the k chips on that board... im no expert so that's really the question as to why I wouldn't get the board and the k chip vs. a cheaper board and locked chip? was it to try and get my ssd in there?

A b150m motherboard is incapable of overclocking a cpu. What you stated is false. You probably misread something but intel made it impossible to oc on anything lower than the z170 boards. Just by adjusting these thing I could fit a ssd in there.

Solution

EzTec

Distinguished
its very sad because they are advertising such capabilities on the images where they are showing off the boards features but I do remember back in the day reading something about the B150's not able to overclock which is why I didn't get one for my build but its been a while since I put that together guess i forgot.... doesn't help that their saying you can either ha!

And thanks, gonna do some more tweaking and add in a SSD, thanks for the help here

No problem and they are probably putting oc everywhere but meaning gpu oc in the small letters. Btw do take a 240gb ssd as a 120gb is just too small no matter how clean you try to keep it.