2017 cpu upgrade

jwcrellin

Reputable
Hey everybody, thank you in advance for your input.
I built a pc around the i5 6600k in early 2016.
I know that the new i7 7700k will be available retail in Q1 2017.
All available evidence points to a Q4 2017 release of the lga 2066 (Socket R4) platform.
Should I go for the 11-15% performance boost from skylake i5 to kaby lake i7?
Or should I wait for the next gen 6/8 core at the end of 2017?

My full setup is currently as follows.
Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
Intel i5 6600K (4.2ghz)
16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
Cryorig H7 Cooler
Crucial 525 GB MX300 SSD
HGST Travelstar 1 TB HDD
Samsung 250GB Evo m.2 SATA
EVGA 600 Bronze
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic
27" Acer Predator 1440 G-SYNC

Solution
It's a waste of money upgrading cpus year over year. Your cpu should last you for at least 3 years if not more. Unless you really need the extra speed you should save the money and keep your 6600K.

genthug

Honorable
If you're really looking to spend money to get better performance, get a better CPU cooler and overclock what you currently have. 4.2 is definitely not the limit on that CPU, you could definitely push it further.
Or, don't put money towards something that isn't going to see any real world performance gain, and put it towards something better.

jwcrellin

Reputable
Whenever I do decide to grow up to i7, i'll definitely be getting a better quality motherboard with sli support and an AIO liquid cooler at the same time. I'm just really lusting over the upcoming enthusiast X299 chipset.

jwcrellin

Reputable
I think its the $99 gigabyte z170 that's holding me back. I just went into the bios and upped the OC to 4.48 and stress tested it for 8 mins. Just doesn't feel like enough of a bump in performance for the stress of 1.38 volts and possible shortening of the life of the processor.

jwcrellin

Reputable
I get nervous about bsod and doing harm to my hardware. The extra couple megahertz don't matter as much to me as peace of mind. You're right, I think i'll back the voltage back to 1.32 and see if my system is comfortable with a 46 multiplier. I don't really have anybody to brag to if I won the silicon lottery and somehow managed to get a 5 Ghz chip. lol
edit: nope, during stress testing I got screen flickering. It just doesn't like going past 4.39'ish.