i3 6300 vs i5 6500 for gaming

Solution
If your building a computer to check e-mail surf the Internet and watch movies go with the i3 because you don't need 4 cpu cores to do that but if your building a gaming computer than don't but a i3 because games is starting to become a quad core standard and the i3 will struggle in the long run and hyper threading does no equal more cores it just line up the next task right away one after another with no breaks so the processor will move on to the next task right away and don't have to wait. Intel a strong edge over Amd in single core performance that's what DX11 do best and the i3 does very well in games favoring single core performance so when you look at the numbers it's a great buy but if you pay attention to what game makers are...
depends on the graphics card. with $800 the i5 is a must. what else do you need besides a core build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.91 @ Jet)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $711.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-05 22:32 EST-0500

yes. the i5 should be the aim. any gpu stronger than the 3gb gtx1060 or rx470 can be heavily cpu bottlenecked by an i3 processor. it gets to the point that an i5+rx470 would perform better in some games than an i3+rx480 while the total cost of both parts are roughly the same.

In effect each has 4 threads.
Not only is the I3-6100 cheaper, but it actually outperforms the i5-6500 in the games that were tested in this review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10543/the-skylake-core-i3-51w-cpu-review-i3-6320-6300-6100-tested

Most games can only use 2-3 threads so the faster 3.7 clock of the i3-6100 prevails.
The type of game that would benefit from the i5-6500 would be multiplayer games where many threads can actually be utilized,

I find the i5-6500@3.2 awkwardly priced at $205.

For not much more, $230 you can get a i5-6600K which is very much faster and can clock at 4.5 or better.

If your building a computer to check e-mail surf the Internet and watch movies go with the i3 because you don't need 4 cpu cores to do that but if your building a gaming computer than don't but a i3 because games is starting to become a quad core standard and the i3 will struggle in the long run and hyper threading does no equal more cores it just line up the next task right away one after another with no breaks so the processor will move on to the next task right away and don't have to wait. Intel a strong edge over Amd in single core performance that's what DX11 do best and the i3 does very well in games favoring single core performance so when you look at the numbers it's a great buy but if you pay attention to what game makers are starting to do is having games mostly AAA games a quad core standard and these days it's easy to get caught up in a dual core wave when the dual core gaming era was the 90's now if you buy an i3 and plan to upgrade when you have the money than thats fine but if you buy a i3 for a build you want to game heavy on then it will start to show it's age as soon a you want to play that game that requires a quad core minimum so I would get a i5 and never have to worry about your cpu meeting minimum requirements for a game you want to play

Solution