Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
System
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Cooling: Corsair H80i GT
PSU: Corsair RM1000
RAM 32GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400MHz running at 1333MHz to try and stabilise

Should I be needing this much voltage to get a stable stress test or is there something else wrong? All of my bios settings are disabled, only using multiplayer and vcore to oc

Solution
When chip manufacturers like Intel, Amd,TSMC, UMC, GF, etc. make wafers, there are slight variations in material quality across the wafer surface, there are local variations in how the lithography, metal vapor deposition, photoresist chemical deposition, etc. are done and this can yield a significant contrast between how good the best chip of a given batch will perform vs how bad the worst chip of the same batch will perform.

To maximize profit, chip manufacturers test and sort chips based on various criteria such as leakage current, power draw at key frequencies, salvageable defects, etc. to decide which product range the chips fit best in. That's binning.

When you buy a Cpu you playing the lottery: you are guaranteed a chip that...

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo zach rox

It sounds like a ridicoulos amount of voltage going though that CPU for a 4.7Ghz overclock.
You might have been unlucky with your CPU, and it just ain't too good at overclocking. You can't do much about it, other than buying another one.

When chip manufacturers like Intel, Amd,TSMC, UMC, GF, etc. make wafers, there are slight variations in material quality across the wafer surface, there are local variations in how the lithography, metal vapor deposition, photoresist chemical deposition, etc. are done and this can yield a significant contrast between how good the best chip of a given batch will perform vs how bad the worst chip of the same batch will perform.

To maximize profit, chip manufacturers test and sort chips based on various criteria such as leakage current, power draw at key frequencies, salvageable defects, etc. to decide which product range the chips fit best in. That's binning.

When you buy a Cpu you playing the lottery: you are guaranteed a chip that performs at least up to stock standard but you have absolutely no way to know beforehand how much farther beyond that your specific chip can go under any given circumstances beyond stock conditions. That's the chip lottery. Some may max out 4.5GHz while others may hit 5GHz. Some may require 1.4V to get to a given clock rate while others may require 1.55V.

Solution

zach rox

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
FYI, My Motherboard was overheating causing the chip to appear unstable when in actual fact, it probably was. Given up on that for now as I wasn't happy with the board.