CPU : AMD A8 7600
CPU COOLER : Deepcool ICEEDGE 200T
Motherboard : MSI A88XM-E35 (FM2+)
RAM : Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1600Mhz
GPU : Sapphire Radeon Dual-X R9 380 2Gb DDR5
Hard Drive : WD 1TB Caviar Blue
PSU : Aerocool Strike-X 500W 80+ Bronze
Case : Aerocool GT Gaming Black

I mostly use it for playing games such as Overwatch, Modded Skyrim SE, Far Cry 4, etc.

I'm noticing that my CPU might be bottlenecking my dedicated GPU on gaming. (I originally bought the system as a budget gaming PC and had money after a year to get a dedicated GPU hence the r9 380) I would like to upgrade it for better performance but I don't have a big budget atm so I can't go with a Haswell or Skylake system. I found good deals on 2nd and 3rd gen i3, i5 and i7 CPUs but I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spend the money I have now and if it would make a big enough difference doing so.

If upgrading would be worth it does anyone have a recommended model from the 2nd/3rd gen intel CPUs? Or should I save a bit more money for Haswell or Skylake? Or maybe wait a few more months till we get Kabylake or the AMD Zen CPUs?

Thanks in advance!

neblogai

Distinguished
For long term upgrade- I'd go for either Ivy Bridge i7- or wait for Zen. For an upgrade to last ~2 years or so- an i5 should be good enough. These older i5-i7 CPUs perform very well in most games, and if clocked higher- offer very similar performance to latest CPUs. And with Z-series motherboards, all of them can be overclocked by +500MHz.
Sandy/Ivy i3-s are probably not worth the trouble, as AMD APUs offer similar performance.

If you can wait for Zen then you should, as you've nothing to lose. The caveat is that Zen will be on a new socket and use DDR4 RAM, so you'll be looking at a motherboard and RAM upgrade as well as the CPU. That said, this also applies to Skylake.

Second and third generation Intel CPUs aren't worth buying into unless they can be overclocked, but your PSU is budget-friendly and not suitable for overclocking anyway. Even if it was, the price of the CPU and motherboard would have to be very low to tempt me.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
When Kaby Lake Launches I would get a Skylake. The prices should drop enough to make the Skylake a little more of a value over Kaby Lake. Supposedly the i7 7700K is only a teeny tiny little bit better than the i7 6700K, which I have and is a fantastic CPU. So if the i7 6700K drops to $300 or below, I would grab that any day over the i7 7700K which will probably be gouged and EVENTUALLY settle down to a $340ish price point.

No idea what Zen is going to be like, I prefer Intel.

Excelcior

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016

It's the same here in the Philippines. Intel prices only drop when the socket becomes almost obsolete such as the 2nd and 3rd gen intel CPUs at the moment. I would imagine the Haswell CPUs get a price drop 2-3 months once Kabylake comes in.