x4 965 BE, trying to get higher than 3.7 GHz

Mozarela

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
My specs:
M4n68t-m v2
X4 965 (1.44V - 3,7 GHz - 200 mhz x18,5 multiplier)
450W Psu
1050 ti (obviously bottlenecking)

Temps are okay. Max 57 Cpu even on 1.5V.

W10 64 bit
6gb ram 1333 mhz.

The problem is I can't get higher than 18,5x multiplier. I tried 19x even on 1.5V but still a worker stopping on prime95. No blue screen or crashes.

The error is - rounding was 0.5 expected less than 0.4 -

What could be problem? Everything else auto. I only adjusting multiplier.

Solution

!! I can't believe that single +12V rail (rated for 18 amp @ 216 watt) is even allowing it to run that 125W CPU, 75W GPU, plus the rest of the system. The CPU and GPU when maxed out together demand 200W alone. At stock. No wonder you can't get it to handle an OC.
I'm afraid you are running on borrowed time using that PSU on that system. Just pray when it finally decides to quit, that it doesn't take out something else with it.
I don't know if a better PSU will let you get a better OC, but you won't do it with that PSU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't try going very high on that board, anyway. It is not well designed to handle OC'ing. For one thing, no heat sinks on the VRMs. And only 4 power phases. My 965BE on a better board is topped out at 4.1GHz.
What is the make/model of your 450W PSU. The quality of the PSU makes a world of difference. Ripple will kill any attempt to OC.
The 965 @ 3.7GHz should not be too bad of a bottleneck on a GTX 1050 Ti. Mine handles the RX 470 fine, even at stock speed.

Mozarela

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Thank you for your advices. On some games my cpu goes %90~ and if i open chrome or other apps my fps drops. I am trying to reduce that thing. Do you think can i reduce fps drops if i do overclock more? If I play games without other apps, everything is fine. My PSU Frisby 450W. Not a really good one but it handles OC'ing for now.

Mozarela

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

This is my PSU. I'm using for 3-4 years. I know. It is really bad PSU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

!! I can't believe that single +12V rail (rated for 18 amp @ 216 watt) is even allowing it to run that 125W CPU, 75W GPU, plus the rest of the system. The CPU and GPU when maxed out together demand 200W alone. At stock. No wonder you can't get it to handle an OC.
I'm afraid you are running on borrowed time using that PSU on that system. Just pray when it finally decides to quit, that it doesn't take out something else with it.
I don't know if a better PSU will let you get a better OC, but you won't do it with that PSU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS