FX-8370 and RX 480 Doesn't Run Well on The Division

L30P4RD

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
Hello guys, I asked couple of people and now think that this is not normal.

I've got FX-8370, Sapphire nitro RX 480 (8gb) , M5A97 motherboard, 16 gb ram and can't see above 30-40 fps (not stable and even drops to 20ish) on streets. Only in small rooms it is 60 fps. Even after I downgraded graphics I get stable 45 fps mostly.

I updated the driver (also with DDU) and don't know if it's normal or what to do. Is my CPU bottlenecking rx 480? Could you guys help me out?

Whonoes

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

Using most AMD CPU's for gaming right now is not recommended as they are outperformed and on a socket that won't get any new CPUS. Currently, intel is what most people use and recommend for gaming.

L30P4RD

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

I hope that this'll change a bit after dx12 games?

DirectX 12 isn't likely to save the FX line, not with its somewhat slow adoption rate and the fact that a lot of the games where its implemented have either seen minimal performance gains or actually run worse than when running DirectX 11. The FX architecture is simply outdated and its per core performance is rather poor by today's standards. DirectX 12 can improve things a bit by spreading out the GPU driver overhead and the draw calls across more cores, but it isn't going to make the other parts of the game engine more multithreaded.

AMD screwed up and bet on software developers radically altering their software to scale well across large numbers of cores very quickly. That didn't happen as AMD's market share remained small and shrunk due to the FX line performing poorly outside of certain productivity software and few people can justify the premium that Intel charges for their 6+ core chips. Software developers are only now trying to improve multithreading as it is now obvious that we've more or less hit a brick wall in terms of improving per core performance and the only thing left to do is try to scale the software across more cores if it needs access to more processing power.

Adrenalinemech

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016

I have an FX 8150 and an XFX RX 480 and the division runs fine on it. It will not run on ultra settings above 60 fps though... but it will run on high settings @ a steady 60 fps. There was an update last week that added DX12 support and enabling it DOES increase performance for AMD hardware so make sure you enable it under the video settings in game. And NO... you didn't waste your money upgrading your PC. Hope this helps.

L30P4RD

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

Yeah it runs fine now after the new driver and dx12 update