i5 4690 (non K) + GTX 1070 Bottleneck?

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
Hello, guys.

I'm considering to buy a GTX 1070 Galax, but I've wondered about how the performance would be. More specifically, I'm concerned about the combo of such GPU with my CPU. I know CPU bound games offer a hard time for CPUs, but, in general terms, can my i5 handle GTX 1070 power? I was also thinking of getting a GTX 1060, it seems to fit more, but I've seen a couple of tests saying that GTX 1060, althought designed for 1080p, like the queen of that resolution, it hasn't proved being convincing. I mean, it does run things at ultra settings with good VRAM supplying the job, but it doesnt look as powerful as it's been said to be. I say that thinking of the future.

What leads me to choose GTX 1070 are two factors:

1. Setting DSR for 2k could free my CPU from hardwork, so, especially for CPU bound games, I'd set 2k resolution as default.

2. With DX 12, the communication between my CPU and GPU would change, would that actually reduce CPU usage, thus slightly reducing possible bottlenecks?

Budget is ok to get both and I'm not considering buying an i7 because I got this i5 in the middle of the year, so it's recent. Thank you in advance!

Solution
i had that combo (CPU+GPU) and i can confirm no bottleneck.

My scenario was kind of 'special': I tested the BF1, and my cpu usage is on 60-70%, i saw videos online with people with the same cpu and it have problems with the 99% CPU USAGE.

But after that, strongest CPU at today and for some time i guess. No problems with games.
Looks like you have done your research. To answer your question, there should be no bottlenecking. Even though it's a non-K version, it still should be ok. Do you plan on staying at 1080p, moving up to 1440p? The 1070 can also handle a bit of 4K as well.

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
I'm still at 720p. When I get the GPU, I'll immediately get a 1080p monitor, so that I wont be using a GTX 1070 for 1366x768 res.

I don't plan to go any further 1080p. Why? Would it be better in my case? If so, I could think of getting that monitor instead. I just don't know if I have enough room to place it here where I live.

Now you brought the topic, would it be better to get a 1440p monitor with i5 or 1080p + i7 in the future?

Also, can the 1070 handle 2k at 60 fps? I'm afraid of 4k because it'd give me around 35 fps or so in some games.

Thanks for helping, by the way.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
a GTX 1070 should be able to handle most games at 2K though you may not be able to max out your filtering and AA to 16x by 8x. But you should still be able to crank things pretty high. If you can i would go 1440P over 1080P. The difference is quite noticeable imho.

i had that combo (CPU+GPU) and i can confirm no bottleneck.

My scenario was kind of 'special': I tested the BF1, and my cpu usage is on 60-70%, i saw videos online with people with the same cpu and it have problems with the 99% CPU USAGE.

But after that, strongest CPU at today and for some time i guess. No problems with games.

Solution

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015

With my i5 in the background?

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015

That's very nice to hear! I'm getting more confident about it, thanks for helping, man!

What motherboard do you have? Here's a trick I recently learnt about "locked" CPUs, because they have "turbo boost", you can actually clock all cores to their max frequency and get better performance than the standard boost. All you need to is go into BIOS and increase the clock and "non-core" ratios. The 4690 has a base clock of 3.5GHz, so it's clock ratio will be set to 35, up this to 39 and all cores will now run at 3.9GHz speed when required.....turbo boost usually limits the max frequency depending on how many cores are in use, so this trick stops that limit from happening.

Ok, so you've got a proper overclocking motherboard. It's been too long since I had a Z97, sold it to a friend who bought a 4690K and a B85 board (that I'm now using). I think it used ratios, but it may've been frequency percentage, not sure. Either way, with a Z97 it's very easy to change the clock speed if you should wish.

And it really makes a difference too. My 4590 (base clock 3.3 that I increased to 3.7GHz) showed a huge jump in performance, maybe some of that was from the non-core increase too, which I believe speeds up the RAM and other such components.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

yeah with the i5 for 2K will be fine. As you increase resolution your CPU needs actually go down. As backwards as it sounds you need more cpu at 640x480 then 1080P or even 4K. Basically what ever your CPU is capable of rendering at a games lowest resolution it is equally capable of the frame rate at higher resolutions assuming your GPU is strong enough.

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015

I remained some days without acessing, so here I'm now.

Anyway, I didn't know I could set my non K to max clock. I thought clock boost was automatic and it increased whenever tasks (mostly games) asked them to employ more effort. I dont monitor clock swpeed when I use MSI Afterburner, so I've never noticed the changes. I'll take a loook if my clock speed remains stable without changing no matter what.

Also, wouldnt setting it to always max offer any kind of risk to my CPU?

No, there isn't too much risk to your cpu as you are not setting it to run at max all the time. Depending on where you set the performance in control panel, your clock speed will still drop when not required, all you're doing is increasing the maximum the base clock will increase to on all the cores. Yes, it will run slightly hotter as it's going to work harder when the load comes on, but not enough to be concerned about.