1070 Performance Normal?

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I finally received my MSI 1070 Gaming X today, and after hooking it all up, I am a bit suspicious of some of my scores. Nothing is overclocked. I also noticed I have the dreaded Micron chips, but I am not having any issues yet besides questionable performance. I am using an i7 -4790k CPU with a gigabyte gaming 7 mobo. I am also using an Asus 144hz monitor @ 1080p. In Fallout 4, with everything maxed out, I average exactly 72fps. Never higher, and if it goes lower its just for a flash. Always steady at 72fps. I see other people saying they are getting 85-90fps average on 1440p with the same card. Here is a Unigine Heaven Benchmark ran at the Extreme Preset (1600x900 windowed on a 1920x1080 144hz monitor) My GPU Temp ran 67-69C the whole time.
RuSFtpV.jpg

Again, max frames @ 144fps. When it did hit 144, it was a solid number not jumping. Makes me think there is a vsync or something similar going on somewhere...Anyone have any ideas?

Solution
Fallout 4 has forced VSYNC partly because the physics engine is tied to framerate. When your framerate starts getting up to around 100 in that game all of the physics go crazy. The same thing happens in Skyrim because it is the same engine. Look for clips on YouTube to see what I am talking about.

The reason you see your framerate cap at 72 FPS is because VSYNC works in multiples of your monitor's refresh rate. You can't run it at a full 144 FPS to match your monitor's refresh rate so the game runs the game at half of your monitor's refresh rate to keep things in sync. Half of 144 is 72.

If you want to turn VSYNC off in Fallout 4 you have to edit the ini files. This is what people do when they do benchmarks of Fallout 4. Just keep in...

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I did indeed have vsync in the Benchmark software itself turned on, but it doesn't explain my poor gaming performance.
I re ran the test on full screen, and these are my results.
roi4Duk.jpg

I just find it odd that Fallout 4 plays at exactly 72fps @1080p (which is half of 144, my screen's refresh rate), when I see benchmark websites posting higher fps on higher resolutions, with the same card. Is there something wrong with mine?

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Having bought an Nvidia 1060 recently after only having amd for so long I noticed that they update their drivers quite frequently. Have you looked at your drivers?
With my 1060 I get about 70 fps with everything maxed at 1080p in fallout 4, so I would say there is definitely something odd going on. Unless fallout has some kind of weird obscure render cap. Do you have any other games you could test? I like to bench any of the total war games, GTA V or the Witcher 3 also have good built in benchmarks I think.

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I had to install the drivers to get the card working, but I will check to make sure they are up to date to be sure. Withcer 3 with hairworks on, everything maxed out at 1080p I average around 70-80fps. I haven't checked to see what everyone else is getting, but it seems pretty close. Also, I have GTA 5 on steam but not installed. I will install it tomorrow and update with the benchmark. I don't know whats up with Fallout, but maybe a system restart will help. I can't help but agree that there is some sort of weird fps cap or something, especially since it stays at exactly half of my screen's refresh rate. Just not sure where lol. Thanks for the reply and the advice, and will report back tomorrow!

king3pj

Distinguished
Fallout 4 has forced VSYNC partly because the physics engine is tied to framerate. When your framerate starts getting up to around 100 in that game all of the physics go crazy. The same thing happens in Skyrim because it is the same engine. Look for clips on YouTube to see what I am talking about.

The reason you see your framerate cap at 72 FPS is because VSYNC works in multiples of your monitor's refresh rate. You can't run it at a full 144 FPS to match your monitor's refresh rate so the game runs the game at half of your monitor's refresh rate to keep things in sync. Half of 144 is 72.

If you want to turn VSYNC off in Fallout 4 you have to edit the ini files. This is what people do when they do benchmarks of Fallout 4. Just keep in mind that if you do that and your framerate gets up into the 100 FPS range the game will run really strangely. It might also make it practically unplayable.

Solution