i3 6100 vs fx 8300

alexsat

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016
i have an a8 7600 cpu but i´m planning to sell it to buy an i3 6100 or fx 8300 the main use will be encoding video and light gaming ,i use convertxtodvd and my question is ,for the i3 does the program recognizes the 4 threads as cores on the video processing tab or just the two physical?

Solution

I'd be surprised if it encoded at the same time. Usually it's one after the other. As for the desktop, a lot of programs are prioritized so a video conversion program should be set to LOW if it's not by default.

I can run Handbrake and see...

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
Go for the i3 6100 as it gives greater scope for future upgrades. The 8300 is a powerful chip but it's now outdated as is the AM3+ socket that it runs on. Especially with ZEN just around the corner.
The program should make use of each thread. Not just the physical cores

AlphaPCs

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
I would recommend the i3 for
-newer manufacturing process
-better single and multi core speed
- hyperthreading
-greater upgrade ability
-uses ddr4 ram
-decent integrated graphics

I would recommend the fx 8300 for
-more cores
-More threads
-Good over clock potential

Go for the i3 cuz it's around 30% faster. If you can afford the the i5 6400 for an extra £50 get that.

I don't recommend upgrading until you can afford a better CPU.

Some raw data:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-6100+%40+3.70GHz
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core

(single thread performance benefits the i3-6100 thus most games. multi-thread benefits many/most video converters)

1) i5-6400, i5-7xxx (Kaby Lake) or better
- problem here is that you now replace the motherboard and system memory

2) i5-4590 or similar
- need new motherboard but not system memory (depends on how much DDR3 memory you already have)

3) ZEN?
- if you can wait, I'd see what ZEN has to offer in 2017
- will need new motherboard and DDR4 memory though

Summary:
So the main problem is adding the motherboard, possibly memory. I think Windows 10 is transferable but W8 and prior are not so that's another cost, as well as REINSTALLING all your software.

Unfortunately, for most games AMD CPU's are a bottleneck which can drop performance as much as 40% or so vs a good Intel CPU but that varies. A lot.

So again, considering your budget appears tight now it's hard to recommend the Intel path especially when the FX-8350 is faster by up to 65% vs the i3-6100 (Handbrake is a great program and can use about 100% of the CPU's threads thus just divide 8938/5418 for a close estimate).

I would strongly suggest holding out for Zen, and possibly investigate used parts.

Other:
I don't know how good "Convertxtodvd" is however I find using DVDdecrypter (or similar) then using HANDBRAKE works very, very well. Handbrake is very good for tweaking the quality vs size/time for the video. I'll list some of the important settings in a post below.

If you're using a recent version of convertx & converting 3-4 files to disk with menus simultaneously the 8300 will win hands down.
1 or 2 files simultaneously the i3 will win it.

It all depends to what extent you use convert x mate , I could run 16 encodes simultaneously on my 8320 & still use the oc for other general desktop tasks.

An i5 cannot manage that workload let alone an i3.

Just with zen a couple of months away you would be best to wait rather than build on a 5 year old socket.

Handbrake.
Important settings->

1. Normal vs High profile (normal is most compatible so know your hardware and experiment)

2. Anamorphic (I use "strict" but don't use "None" because you'd get scaling issues or else need to drop the resolution)

3. Crop (useful, but make sure it's correct. occasionally it scans a part of the movie with a different crop)

4. Decomb (use that, not deinterlace, and make sure "default" is enabled below it)

5. Deblock (usually do not use this unless DVD is unusually blocky which is rare. also uses less threads so adds time)

6. H.264 is most compatible (H.265 less so but can do about HALF the size. Hard drives are pretty cheap though so I don't recommend it usually)

7. Variable frame rate (just use this, not constant)

8. Quality - experiment, but 2000Kbps is a good start for most DVD. use 2-pass or Turbo.

9. Optimize - basically time vs quality, and the less bitrate you use the longer you should choose (I use "Medium" as Slow seems the same to me)

10. Audio - I use AC3, 192kbps, Dolby Pro Logic II

(I know the AAC encoder dropped quality slightly due to a licensing issue. If you can tell, and frankly the bitrate isn't usually a concern so I stick with the above unless there's a compatibility issue with the hardware.)

Other stuff:
*You can setup a queue to batch encode. Drag in videos (which may change a setting) or even setup once and do an entire folder.

So you could RIP a bunch of DVD's then set them up to batch encode pretty easily.

I'd be surprised if it encoded at the same time. Usually it's one after the other. As for the desktop, a lot of programs are prioritized so a video conversion program should be set to LOW if it's not by default.

I can run Handbrake and see 100% of my CPU is being used, then fire up a game and run it no problem. If the game averages 50% CPU usage then so does Handbrake as it uses the unused CPU cycles.

I agree on Zen completely unless Intel manages to match them on price. We'll have to see, but I think the 8C/16T is going to cost $350USD, though a 6C/12T Zen (14nm on AM4) CPU might be the sweet spot for price, gaming and reasonable video encoding performance.

I don't trust leaks, but that and my guessing suggests in USD:
4C/8T - $120-$200 approx. (different models/prices)
6C/12T - $200-$300
8C/16T - $350 to $550

Solution
^ convertx will do upto 6 streams simultaneous per program instance automatically mate depending on what the program decides is viable for your CPU.
Bear in mind its an program aimed at amateurs , actual user configurable settings are very very limited , its made for ease of use while still giving decent quality & primarily designed for getting 4-6 hours of video on a traditional single layer DVD with menus with minimal quality loss
My whole 8 core rig was but around using it years ago when I did a lot of vhs, camcorder etc conversion for people as a part time business venture.

4 instances running, & could have around 16-20 hours of converted video done in under 3 hours at good quality.

My Intel rigs (albeit older sandy/ivy platforms) were not even close timescale wise , but faster at single/dual conversion.

alexsat

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016

thank you i´ll wait for Zen then ,and try the Handbrake software.