i3 4170 or g4400

Blasp

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
I know some of you may recommend me getting the i3 6100 but i can get the i3 4170 from a friend for a cheaper price. Im planning to upgrade to an i5 in the future but for now i wanna know if a ddr4 ram would make a big difference in performance or should i just go for the i3 4170 for a better cpu but only a ddr3 ram. im playing a lot of fps and online games btw.

to summarize:

i3 4170
h81m mobo
8gb ddr3 ram
gtx 750 ti

or

g4400
h110 mobo
8gb ddr4 ram
gtx 750 ti

any insight would be much appreciated.

Solution
If you're facing a straight up choice between a Skylake Pentium and a Haswell i3 for a gaming rig, there's no question the i3 is the better pick. There's a bunch of benchmarks floating around that show a growing number of games don't run well at all on a straight up dual core CPU. The Hyperthreading on the i3, while not equal to a genuine quad core, goes a long way to bridging the gap.

DDR3 vs DDR4 is next to irrelevant for gaming.

A Skylake platform is a little better than Haswell on a couple of fronts, which might push the long term value proposition towards the G4400, particularly if you can upgrade to the i5 soon anyway. But right now, no question that the Haswell i3 is the superior gaming CPU.
Do you already have a motherboard? QE: I suppose you don't.

If you can't get the i3-6100, the i3-4160 would be a better choice than the Pentium G4400. If you want to upgrade later on, the 4690K, and 4790K will still be relevant over the next few years.

If you're facing a straight up choice between a Skylake Pentium and a Haswell i3 for a gaming rig, there's no question the i3 is the better pick. There's a bunch of benchmarks floating around that show a growing number of games don't run well at all on a straight up dual core CPU. The Hyperthreading on the i3, while not equal to a genuine quad core, goes a long way to bridging the gap.

DDR3 vs DDR4 is next to irrelevant for gaming.

A Skylake platform is a little better than Haswell on a couple of fronts, which might push the long term value proposition towards the G4400, particularly if you can upgrade to the i5 soon anyway. But right now, no question that the Haswell i3 is the superior gaming CPU.

Solution