Rx 480 or 1060 for a 460w PSU

SirCurvington

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Hello, i just bought a EVGA 1060 6gb SC but i'm starting to have doubt about my purchased since i saw the new driver of the rx-480 that saw it's perf rose by 10% almost on par with the 1060. MY rig is not really upgradable at the moment since i consider my i7-3770 a still decent for CPU for at least 1 and a half year and changing any component other than the GPU woud have a snow ball effect.

since i'm aiming for 1080p/60fps for at least 2 year more if possible i was wondering which one of these two GPU is better, i know that right now they're pretty much on par, but a year from now will we have amuch different portrait, will amd continue to rose perf that much or is the card pretty much at full capacity ? , will nvidia respond to amd new driver ?

i know it's already a long post so i'm gonna stop here but if you have any other question please ask

Solution

Yes. Exactly. You will be fine. Enjoy.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the specs for your system, especially the make/model of your power supply?

I have a RX 480 in a system with a 450w PSU, and it performs very well. The quality of the PSU is a factor.

Regardless, since you already have a GTX 1060, I wouldn't worry about changing. You still have an excellent GPU and the differences between the two are not all that significant, either way. If you happy with it now, just keep it. Who knows what is just around the corner.

SirCurvington

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

basically i got a huge deal on dell XPS 8500 a couple year ago, so i have a generic 460w power supply( it's worth nothing that my PSU have survived numerous power outage on a cheap power bar nonetheless so i guess it's kind of good aprt for the wattage) apart from that i7-3770,12gb of ddr3 ram, that only issue with the PSU s that i don't have a switch to turn it on/off at the back of the case(nor a an opening for one). Buying a new PSU would then probably mean a new case also and right now in canada a decent case+ PSU is around 150$( which would be too much to add to the price of a 480 that is already aroud 20$ than my 1060 which cost me around 410$ after taxes

for the CPU, well changing ot right now would breack my heart and also imply a new mobo( so new windows cause OEM, new RAM, etc) and i don't want to spend well over 1000$ in CAD

SirCurvington

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

i think i'll follow your advice, i'm just afraid that some people on the internet are right about the fact that the 480 will continue the rise it's perf to a pij t where it'll be 20% better than the 1060 and therefore still usable in 2.5years, a 30% upgrade without response form nvidia seem brutal by 2 year from now i would feel dumb as f*** if is bought a new rig and end up getting a 480

that being said we could very well see those 2 card going back and forth for 2 year

SirCurvington

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

thank you, i didnt want to sound like i have a bad PSU, like i said it's actually a pretty good PSU, the only problem being that i would have prefer 100w more to have like 550w(so i wouldn't even have to worry about upgrading it) and the fact that it don't have a on/off switch but apart from that it save my pc form power outage more time that i can count

SirCurvington

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
So just to confirm/ end the subject you guys would recommend me to keep my 1060 as this card will be more than good enough for the next 2 year?
Considering the hassle and additional expense of a 480?

thank you again

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Yes. Exactly. You will be fine. Enjoy.

Solution