Reputable
Dec 11, 2016
I have a really old pc (2008)
Configurations(main):
1) AMD Anthlon 64x2 4000+ dual core 2.1 Ghz
2) Asus M2V-MX-SE motherboard
3) 4 GB of DDR2 800Mhz ram ( 2 GB x 2)
4) 450W power supply

It is generally used for basic tasks like web browsing or word processing and not at all for gaming....but recently having some problem with the onboard integrated graphics....its vga drivers are also not supported in modern os

Can i add a lower end graphics card like a NVIDIA GT710 to boost performance......and if it will be at all compatible with my motherboard and cpu ???....if not please suggest something which i can buy....

Solution
yah they are backward compatible. can be rare issues but overall, little chance it won't work.

be sure to uninstall the onboard drivers, power down and install the new gpu. then boot up and install the new drivers for it.

you may also have to go into the bios and manually tell it to use the pcie slot and not the onboard. some do it automatically but many do not. so before first boot, checkthe bios to ensure it sees the card and is set to use it as default

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yes any budget card would work fine for those uses and would be compatible with your motherboard and psu.

a 710 or something like that would be nice and cheap and would even offer better performance that the onboard video from way back when :)

nd_alpha22

Reputable
Dec 11, 2016

Are the pci express x16 slot going to be compatible?...because the new ones come with pcie 2.0.....and i cant figure out which version i have on my motherboard ( nothing mentioned on the webite or manual) ....most likely a 1.0 version......

https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/M2VMX_SE/specifications/

This stuff is backwards compatible for the most part. I say for the most part because it IS possible that certain motherboards may be finicky about PCI-express graphics compatibility. My main concern here is your motherboard uses the VIA chipset and I never liked those, I always had issues with them back in the day. If I were you I'd look for a basic videocard like the 710 but used, not new. So even it turns out it doesn't work you didn't spend a lot on it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah they are backward compatible. can be rare issues but overall, little chance it won't work.

be sure to uninstall the onboard drivers, power down and install the new gpu. then boot up and install the new drivers for it.

you may also have to go into the bios and manually tell it to use the pcie slot and not the onboard. some do it automatically but many do not. so before first boot, checkthe bios to ensure it sees the card and is set to use it as default

Solution