GT 710 Not working

h4wkst3r

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
Hey, a friend of mine has a very old computer with an ATI Radeon HD 5450 and a Pentium D clocked at around 3.8 Ghz.
Its an old Dell Optiplex 745.
I'd like to buy him a new R7 240 but im not sure it's worth it as the GT 710 wouldn't even work when we tried it.
The computer would boot up but the screen wouldn't receive any signal.

Can anyone help me solve the issue, and tell me if an R7 240 would work.
Thanks

Solution
That is a truly ancient system, frankly even upgrading to the R7 240 might not even be worthwhile due to that old Pentium D slowing things down. Whether it would work is hard to say, the problem with these prebuilt systems is that they can have compatibility issues with various graphics cards due to lack of BIOS support, either because the motherboard is ancient and stopped getting updates a decade ago like in this case, or because the manufacturer wants to restrict upgrade options in order to sell the customer a new computer or limit them to upgrades offered by the manufacturer only.

Honestly your friend needs an entirely new system at this point, a Pentium D struggles running any game that is remotely modern.
That is a truly ancient system, frankly even upgrading to the R7 240 might not even be worthwhile due to that old Pentium D slowing things down. Whether it would work is hard to say, the problem with these prebuilt systems is that they can have compatibility issues with various graphics cards due to lack of BIOS support, either because the motherboard is ancient and stopped getting updates a decade ago like in this case, or because the manufacturer wants to restrict upgrade options in order to sell the customer a new computer or limit them to upgrades offered by the manufacturer only.

Honestly your friend needs an entirely new system at this point, a Pentium D struggles running any game that is remotely modern.

Solution