Fx 8300 vs E3 1231 V3 vs I5 4690k

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
I have to ask you again this time what is best since i would like to get better performance in games

Have a fx 8300 4.2ghz, im thinking about a E3 1231 V3 or the very popular i5 4690k (cpu,mb and ddr 4 is a bit to expensive so i won't go that way)

My problem is i don't know what to chose

Theres a little diffrence in single core performance at stock speed but not much, a E3 1231 V3 has a much higher cpu mark score in passmark (all core used) than the i5, even when theres only 100mhz difference, must be do to the fact the E3 has hyper threading, the i5 has to be oc'ed to perform on pair with a stock i7 3770k or a i7 4770, the E3 already performs as good as a stock i7 3770k,4770,single core is atleast 40% higher on a i5 E3 compared to fx 8300 at 4,2 ghz so i do get better gaming

Will a oc'ed i5 4690k outperform not only in single core performance but also generally at top speed (all core used) a E5 1231 v3 with hyper threading with 8 threads instead of 4 on the i5

The E3's turbo speed is up to 3.8 ghz but according to other people it can't run at 3.8 ghz on all
cores What is the limited on all core on the E5 1231 v3?

These videos make me wanna buy the E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlK9XhhvwEEand this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usvHezHmCJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icloKRjqraw

Solution
The e3 is basically an i7 4770 without the integrated graphics. Six of one, half dozen of the other. In some games an oc'd i5 will outperform the xeon, in others they'll be very close or the xeon may edge it out by a couple fps. The cost of a xeon vs overclocking the i5 is similar. No real free lunch, but either one would be superior to amd fx-xxxx anything.
"Max turbo frequency is the maximum single core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. Frequency is measured in gigahertz (GHz), or billion cycles per second."

V9qhPxD.png

With Intel Turbo Boost 2.0, (I think this is how it works)*

1 core may boost to 3.8GHz
2 cores may boost to 3.7GHz
3 cores may boost to 3.6GHz
4 cores may boost to 3.5GHz if base clock is 3.4GHz.

I enjoy hyper-threading and after Battlefield 1, (whether it's poor coding or what..) I would recommend the Xeon or an i7 because they don't get bottle-necked.

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012

A normal haswell i5 you can disable turbo and set multiplier to the turbo speed and the cpu will run at max "turbo" speed on all cores

I7 setup would cost me as much as a skylake i5 with ddr 4ram and that is just to expensive

That is only on unlocked CPUs, such as the 4690k, 4790k, etc. and it wouldn't be considered Intel Turbo Boost anymore, just an overclock.

*If you disabled turbo boost on a normal i5, it would run at base frequency. You can't change its multiplier if it isn't unlocked.

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
No,with most cpus you just disable turbo and set ghz to highest x which is the turbo speed, if the cpu runs at 3.8ghz turbo you set x to 38 and it will run at 3.8ghz on all cores

With the E3 xeon it's a little bit different, but im not shure how fast it will run on all cores since i have seen a few not being able to run turbo speed on all cores

I don't think that is the standard with all motherboards, but it appears to be possible with certain motherboards and BIOS revisions. You could go with a high-end Z97 board, but that could be the difference in price of the 4790K.

jdcranke07

Honorable

You are talking about a Bclk multiplier overclock when you set the multiplier, not turbo speeds.

There are two types of overclocking:

First type: Multiplier overclocking - you adjust the bclk multipier to a higher setting and the CPU will go to that speed as long as you make it stable by either upping the voltage, turning off power saving options, and few other things. This type of overclocking CAN ONLY BE DONE WITH AN i5 OR i7 "K" VERSION OR i7 EXTREME CPU (there are older models, but to save time, I'm not typing or including those in this post due to relevance), if you go Intel.

If you have any other Intel CPU, you CANNOT ADJUST THE BCLK MULTIPLIER since the multiplier is locked by Intel. You can, however, use the second method to overclock.

Second type: Base clock (Bclk) or Front Side BUS (FSB) - This is where you would adjust the Bclk of the entire system just like you would with the multiplier. The problem you will run into is that this method speeds up the entire system and not just your CPU. So, this is usually only used for fine tuning a multiplier overclock or if you need to speed your DRAM up.

As a side note and reminder: XEONS AND NON "K" INTEL CPUs CANNOT BE OVERCLOCKED VIA BCLK MULTIPLIER.

As for gaming, the 4690K would be best, especially if you OC the CPU. There is no need to get an i7 for gaming and a Xeon can still game, but will be best for a workstation rig.

The e3 is basically an i7 4770 without the integrated graphics. Six of one, half dozen of the other. In some games an oc'd i5 will outperform the xeon, in others they'll be very close or the xeon may edge it out by a couple fps. The cost of a xeon vs overclocking the i5 is similar. No real free lunch, but either one would be superior to amd fx-xxxx anything.

Solution