R9 380 Memory Clock not budging from 150MHz even under load?

Vikorz

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Hello, I've had my R9 380 for about a year now and today I tried to load up FIFA 17 which I've played previously with no issues, however, when i got into it today the menus felt choppy and the gameplay wasn't running smoothly at all. I opened afterburner and it said that my memory clock was at 150MHz during the entire time I was playing...? Obviously it should be a little higher then that..

I haven't tried to overclock or alter the cards performance since I got it as I found it was fine for my needs. I've tried to run Cod4 and battlefied and felt the performance dip in both as it felt choppy. I'm sure it's not a driver related issue since I didn't update my drivers over night :/

However I did look at AMD's Global WattMan and I noticed that I can't actually even access the Memory section, it's just greyed out with the circle stuck at 150MHz...

Just want to know if this may be a card related issue or software as I'm not sure if I'm still in the warranty period

P.s. the gpu is a Sapphire R9 380 4gb

Thanks, David

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

first thought is software problems.

always do a virus scan like malewarebytes to check for something there messing with your vram.

if nothing then do a clean install of radeon crimsion RE-Live edition for your version of windows.

beyond that I would say you may have a corrupted bios, or burned out memory chips.

both of these hardware failure scenarios are EXTREMELY rare.

Vikorz

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015

Running a scan now then I'll try to reinstall again, I had done previously, forgot to mention

Vikorz

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015

Update, I've done a virus scan and nothing came back, I reinstalled the driver clean and nothing's changed however horizontal lines began flickering on both of my screens so I reseated the gpu and they seem to have stopped, however I'm still on 150MHz when I run games :(

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

wait a second... you reseated the gpu and got some display corruption to fix its self?

you may have a bad motherboard PCIe slot.

try another slot. make sure the gpu isn't saging the slot down and breaking that connector

Vikorz

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015

Couple days after and I've been seeing a few more artifacts popping up every now and then, I've had this mobo for roughly 4 years now so it's possibly time for an upgrade as I've been having issues with my ethernet port and the audio jacks in the back over the last year being a bit hit and miss. Thank you for your help tho :)

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

yes I think you have found the problem. if your motherboard is crapping out the gpu could be just fine. if you can try another slot or put the card in another computer you would know for sure, but if you don't have the other hardware then I guess you have to take a guess and replace the motherboard

JaKSLaP

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

Here is some Tips
1. if you have MSI afterburner or any other Overclocking tools installed, completely uninstall all of them.
2. Reset you BIOS to Factory Defaults (Caution if you have a RAID Setup, as that will break your O/S)
3. Uninstall AMD Drivers and Re-Install them

See how you go and report back

TRENDING THREADS