RX 480 FPS drops in all games (NOT CPU!)

Matirre

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
I have a fairly new computer, bought everything in april 2016, and i have had problems with my last gpu, an r9 390 so i returned it and bought an RX 480 and the framerate sucks... For example, Overwatch on meduim settings at 1080p is about 90fps but occationally drops to about 30-40 fps. I' locked the framerate to 144 since i have a 144hz monitor. I've checked with afterburner and hw monitor and nothing is throttling or overheating. My cpu is at a maximum of 75C and 80% usage while gaming. My gpu gets a maximum of about 80C while gaming and the gpu usage is around 95-100% all the time. No throtteling in core clocks or memory clocks. I've tried overclocking my gpu but the difference was 1 fps in the heaven benchmark. However it doesn't matter if i've the OC or not i still get bad frame rate

My computer:
Intel core i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5 ghz
Corsair h60 v2 AIO watercooling
Asus Strix OC RX 480 Boost: Core: 3010mhz Overclocked: 1435mhz Memory Stock: 2000mhz Overclocked 2250mhz Note that the OC is stable
500gb SSD (boot drive and where i store my games)
1tb hdd 7200 rpm
8gb hyperX ram
MSI pro gaming carbon z170
Corsair RM1000X 1000W power supply

Thanks for helping!

Solution
Hmm... I have a i7-5820k, but it's only clocked at 3.3 GHz (stock). In 1920 x 1200 resolution (ultra w/ MSAA 8x) with a GTX 1060 (6GB VRAM), I get 99 - 110 FPS in Overwatch.

Remove your drivers again, but with DDU (Display Drivers Uninstaller): http://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=706

<click blue link> Official Download here

Allow the application to automatically reboot your computer into Windows safe mode to remove all remnants of your drivers. Then proceed back to AMD and redownload the latest driver version. Is the issue better, worse or the same?

Matirre

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Sorry, should be 75C whie running AIDA 64 while Overclocked, thats normal right?

Matirre

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Yep, unistalld nvidia, AMD and intel drivers... Apparently i had all of them installed somwhere...However I still get the framdrops :/

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

How have you uninstalled your graphics drivers?

What is your CPU temp while gaming? Sounds off to me; 75C is high for an air cooler. 120mm water cooler shouldn't be hitting that high. At the same time, even at that temp it shouldn't be throttling. But despite that, I think that you should remove/re-apply thermal paste, and re-examine the radiator for excess dust, and also the rest of your case's ventilation.

Matirre

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

The cpu is about 50C while gaming so that should definately not be throttling... Will probably reapply the thermal paste later since i dont have any... Just cleaned my computer so there is no dust at all.

Btw i have my cpu fan running at 50% all the time which is about 700 rpm, therefore the high temps but i can keep my system very silent.

By any chance, do you have the RX 480 installed in the PCI_E7 slot? That slot is designated as x4. According to your manual, a single GPU should be installed in PCI_E2.

5apx1S7.jpg

Matirre

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

nope, i have it in the top slot (PCI_E2)...
Thanks for taking your time and looking into this tho!

Hmm... I have a i7-5820k, but it's only clocked at 3.3 GHz (stock). In 1920 x 1200 resolution (ultra w/ MSAA 8x) with a GTX 1060 (6GB VRAM), I get 99 - 110 FPS in Overwatch.

Remove your drivers again, but with DDU (Display Drivers Uninstaller): http://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=706

<click blue link> Official Download here

Allow the application to automatically reboot your computer into Windows safe mode to remove all remnants of your drivers. Then proceed back to AMD and redownload the latest driver version. Is the issue better, worse or the same?

Solution
80% CPU usage sounds like a bottleneck. To get 80% CPU usage, most likely means at least 1 core is pretty much 100%. That said, 90 FPS, with occasional 30-40 FPS drops while not at a cut scene is odd.

I'd run that game again while monitoring your per core usage on the CPU, the clock speeds on the CPU and GPU. What type of usage and clocks do you have during those dips?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
In Battlefield 1 It's normal to drop to 40-45 fps in multiplayer, happened to me too quite frequently in demanding areas. plus ten thousands of other people with similar i5's. Had to use a command to get rid of that issue.

Yesterday DICE released a patch and It's much better now. Not sure when OP played BF1 for the last time.