Up to $200 PSU replacement (may need a GPU upgrade too)

catsclawfurniture

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: This week for PSU, in a couple weeks if also GPU

Budget Range: Up to $200 for PSU.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I want to play games but it's getting to the point where I can't use the computer in general use.

Parts to Upgrade: PSU maybe GPU

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, amazon

Parts Preferences: No preference, I would prefer to not repurchase the ones I already have, unless that is what I should get.

Additional Comments: Windows, really would like to have the computer be quiet.

Why Are You Upgrading: I built my computer in 2013. I've always had issues with getting it to boot properly, but it's getting to the point where I can no longer run games (I only really play heroes of the storm a few times a day), it freezes, and has always been loud at times. If I could start at the PSU since that would probably be the cheapest, and work my way up, I'd prefer it.
Someone else had directed me in the build, and I am not sure how to go about replacing parts.

The build:

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43
CPU: INTEL|CORE I7 4770 3.4G 8M R
Ram: 2x4GB PNY
GPU: MSI N650TI TF 2GD5/OC
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W

Additional questions:

Are you upgrading because (1) you want to, (2) of a known hardware fault or (3) of performance issues?

Have you tried to resolve the problems you're having first and exhausted the possible solutions?

If you want to upgrade regardless, what is the new PC going to consist of (eg. CPU, motherboard, GPU, etc.)?

Comments:

The i7-4770 is still a very good CPU, so I can't see the justification to replace it. A GPU upgrade would be noticeable and some more RAM will likely help the performance of tasks overall.

I would suggest trying to address the issues you are having. Start with the boot issue and proceed from there.

catsclawfurniture

Reputable
May 23, 2014
I'm not replacing the CPU lol. I want to replace the PSU or GPU for the fact my computer has been freezing and turning off randomly/performance issues. The boot issue has been long standing and for the most part fixed (also, it was related to motherboard).

Thank goodness for that response on the CPU...

In which case... have you checked on how your PSU is performing? Something like HWMonitor has a basic reading on voltages which can help give you an idea (not a substitute for a proper electrical reading but a start).

Checked cabling in PC just in case something is a little loose?

Have you had a look in Event Viewer to see if there are things there to give a clue as to what caused the sudden turning off?

If the PSU is, for whatever reason, the problem then it would be the first one to replace for stability and safety reasons. This list will provide a good place to start on which PSU to get. I'd be tempted to get this which has been reviewed well and is within your $200 budget.

But if you're looking towards $200 budget for both components then that's a different consideration (obviously) and requires more financial gymnastics.

logainofhades

Titan

catsclawfurniture

Reputable
May 23, 2014

I downloaded HWMonitor, is it proper to attach a reading?
125kf2d.jpg
f1mw8.png