RX 480 display driver problem (TDR troubleshooting didn't work)

Machtan

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Since I am a lazy piece of crap I'll just paste what I wrote on the AMD support community board:

I know it's a known problem but I looked around and found no definitive fix for my problem. I recently upgraded from two crossfired HD 7850s (worked marvels I tell ye) to a RX 480 Nitro, and then things went t**s up. The display driver does not stop THAT frequently while gaming, but it's a sure thing that it will do so with any game I play (driver-stopping champion game is World of Tanks. The game runs smoothly at the first 2 minutes or less, but I can't complete a single match). The troubleshooting section regarding the TDR issue did not help. Uninstalled Crimson and the display driver using both the AMD Removal and DDU tools, reinstalled everything but to no avail. My last attempt was doing all that again and installing Crimson 16.7 since it was said (on different sources and threads I stumbled with around the internet) to be Crimson's best working version for the RX 480. Needless to say, the problem persisted... The last thing left to do is a complete reinstall of the OS, but I want to avoid doing so until there's no other choice (and my guts tell me it won't fix the problem. I have trustworthy guts).

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370
GPU: Sapphire RX 480 Nitro 8gb
Memory: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8gb
Current crimson version: 16.7.3 (also tried with 16.9.2, 16.11 and the latest 16.12)

Oh, I have also created a registry changing the TDR value, but it didn't help... It just keeps the display frozen for longer.

Is there a fix for this that I might have missed? Other version of the drivers that work better? Is it a problem with this specific model of the RX 480? After all these years using AMD, should I return this one and buy a GTX?

Solution
After much deliberation (and by that I mean relentlessly fiddling with Crimson) I think I found out the problem. Every summer, since its hot as hell's deepest pit, I open the PC's case. I did that before swapping the GPUs. But after changing the temperature control with Wattman, the crashes stopped altogether... Even with the case opened the damn thing was overheating, probably because of Wattman's poor control of fan speed, and since I keep the case open and the fans were not noisy I didn't even consider it could be the temperature... Now the whole thing here is noisy as a pig at the slaughterhouse, but at least it's all working now, and no need for OS reinstall.

Machtan

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

Well, I also think the RX 480 would work better with Win10... But I have no copy of it, its expensive around here, and I kind of like the 7 Ult. Besides, as I said, a clean reinstall of the OS is the very last thing I want to try.

Machtan

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

Not only there are a few programs I use for work (stuff made by the company's IT crew) that does not work with win10, I am a lazy ah heck and reinstalling everything would be too much of a hassle (yeah, I am THAT kind of oaf)... But it seems I don't have much of a choice...

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

No reason why you cannot have two windows installations. If you have another drive, that can make it even easier.

Machtan

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
After much deliberation (and by that I mean relentlessly fiddling with Crimson) I think I found out the problem. Every summer, since its hot as hell's deepest pit, I open the PC's case. I did that before swapping the GPUs. But after changing the temperature control with Wattman, the crashes stopped altogether... Even with the case opened the damn thing was overheating, probably because of Wattman's poor control of fan speed, and since I keep the case open and the fans were not noisy I didn't even consider it could be the temperature... Now the whole thing here is noisy as a pig at the slaughterhouse, but at least it's all working now, and no need for OS reinstall.

Solution